FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Taking 17 Hours? What is wrong?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Knapp
Compressor Taking 17 Hours? What is wrong?
on Oct 23, 2010 at 2:08:32 pm

Surely, it is not normal to have compressor render a file out taking nearly 18 hours, is it?

It is HD, but talk about a long processing time for a 14 minute output.

Using quicktime conversion or exporting to quicktime surely takes a fraction of the time. This is boggling my mind. I'll have to find another workflow and output setting, this is unreal---though the footage is stellar and crisp, that I must concede.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Compressor Taking 17 Hours? What is wrong?
on Oct 23, 2010 at 5:04:33 pm

Fully render the seq.

Export a self contained QT.

Use that file in Compressor.

If you're encoding h.264 and want much shorter encodes, get yourself a Matrox HDCompress card.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Oct 23, 2010 at 7:31:41 pm

Thanks so much David. I almost thought the program had frozen up with such a long time to encode, as if I were running Windows again.

I'll have to look into that Matrox HDCompress card.

In terms of workflow, Do you delete that self contained movie after you put it through an encode to get your final file?

Shaun K.

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to rack and ruin without fail. It is a very grave mistake to think that the engagement of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty." --- Albert Einstien

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 23, 2010 at 7:54:37 pm

No, I keep it archived as the master in perpetuity.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 23, 2010 at 8:30:44 pm

Fallow David advice and work with self-contained files.
A multi-pass encoding for H264 mens three passes (3) that means three rendering/compression processes if you are "Sending to Compressor" or using QT Conversion.

[Shaun Knapp] "Thanks so much David. I almost thought the program had frozen up with such a long time to encode, as if I were running Windows again."
Hi Shaun,
In those cases, open the "Activity monitor" . CPU use and Disk Activity (read/write) will tell you if th application is running or no.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
Exporting Lower Third to Final Cut, Alpha Channel and Mask
on Oct 24, 2010 at 4:58:11 am

Thanks you guys.

And the beauty of exporting them out as self contained movies before taking them into Compressor would be to have Compressor run in the background independent of FCP as well, right? FCP has been tied up with this export for the last day. I now know better how to do this, and a card may very well be worth having with render times like this one. It's now been over a full day and it claims 5.5 hours yet to go. Simply astounding. I'm glad to know a better way from here on out.

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Oct 24, 2010 at 4:58:34 am

Thanks you guys.

And the beauty of exporting them out as self contained movies before taking them into Compressor would be to have Compressor run in the background independent of FCP as well, right? FCP has been tied up with this export for the last day. I now know better how to do this, and a card may very well be worth having with render times like this one. It's now been over a full day and it claims 5.5 hours yet to go. Simply astounding. I'm glad to know a better way from here on out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]