FORUMS: list search recent posts

best AE comp size? for FCP hd edit to SD deliverable

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
best AE comp size? for FCP hd edit to SD deliverable
on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:21:11 pm

As is so often the case, footage for a standard def project (deliverable) was shot in HD. So I'm editing (FCP 6.06) in a HD sequence (1920x1080 square pix) for what will be a SD widescreen deliverable. As I start to do my AE animations for this job, I'm encountering this problem.

To reduce rendering time I'd like to work at SD rez and would have thought a comp set to the AE preset "NTSC D1 Widescreen Square Pixel" would be the way to go, yet this is the only one that plays really poorly (orange color over it in TL) in the FCP sequence (all renders done in ProRes).

Conversely a standard NTSC D1 comp, though 4x3 will play in the seq smoothly and a 1920x1080 is also smooth but is much slower to render in AE. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,

Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: best AE comp size? for FCP hd edit to SD deliverable
on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:53:09 am

It is easier to down rez then up rez.

If you drop a SD graphic into a HD sequence it will not look that good when it goes back to SD. Makes no sense to do it that way. I would edit in HD with placeholders for the AE graphics. When finished I would drop that sequence into a SD sequence (make sure it is widescreen) and replace the graphics.

Also SD video is never square pixels, you need to make the par widescreen (1.2)

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:25:14 am

Thanks Michael, I needed that.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Oct 21, 2010 at 4:23:56 pm

Since it seems that the the AE motion gfx in the HD seq are place holders, this workaround was suggested on the AE List... hi-lite the clip in the timeline* under Modify "Conform to Sequence" . fcp doesn't change the clip in the sequence once you change the check box (item properties) to anamorphic

*that I did in NTSC Widescreen but remained stubbornly 4x3

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]