FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid>FCP hardware

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthew rivlin
Avid>FCP hardware
on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:53:00 pm

Looking to make the jump from Xpress Pro to FCP.

Right now we have a mojo hooked up to each avid and with the new macs we are looking to buy we are figuring maybe one mxo2 product (is mini enough or LE.....?) for capturing from tape decks/router/evs.

As far as the editors go, what are suggestions on cards/breakout boxes for a FCP system. Are they necessary for basic editing of 2-10 min spots. Is hardware exceleration something we would need/regret not getting further down the road?

I am a graphics guy (c4d/AE) but am trying to help out our video folks and don't know much about current video/capture/hardware for FCP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid>FCP hardware
on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:29:20 am

[matthew rivlin] "As far as the editors go, what are suggestions on cards/breakout boxes for a FCP system."

What sort of decks do you need to capture footage from? Output to? How about monitoring? All those are factors in making this decision. Every card has strengths and weaknesses.

[matthew rivlin] " Are they necessary for basic editing of 2-10 min spots. I"

If you capture from tape, or output to tape...or need to properly monitor your footage for color correction, absolutely.

[matthew rivlin] "Is hardware exceleration something we would need/regret not getting further down the road?"

Doesn't exist. Marketting language. ALL capture cards...even MOJO and DX...only accelerate in terms of...they take the scaling of anamorphic footage off the processors and graphics cards freeing them up to get more power to whatever RT the NLE has built in. But nothing adds hardware acceleration. Not in Avid, not in FCP. All marketting BS.

Need deck control? Get the MXO2 LE. Unless you need more than 8 channels of embedded SDI audio or more than two channels of XLR audio. The mini is good for monitoring and capturing without deck control. But to me, those are essential. Also look at the Decklink Studio cards...$700. AJA Kona LHi...$1600.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

matthew rivlin
on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:56:48 pm

We don't need any sort of particular confidence monitoring (just the basic DVI computer monitor). We capture and would print to a number of decks. (beta SP, beta SX, digiBeta, DVCPro, XD, miniDV, p2, dvd) It all comes through a router though and no deck is directly connected to the machine. Any cards in particular stand out for these needs?

Of our four editors, only one needs to be a capture/ingest station. Do you recommend that has the cards/box and the others can get away with just being powerful macs with no additional hardware?

We have never had deck control, since the decks are 1' away from the ingest machine. Could be nice i guess though. thoughts?

So the AJA card is twice the price of the decklink you mentioned. Any reason or benefit to the AJA?

thanks for your feedback.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:24:08 pm

[matthew rivlin] "Any cards in particular stand out for these needs?"

Any will work for what you mentioned.

[matthew rivlin] "Do you recommend that has the cards/box and the others can get away with just being powerful macs with no additional hardware?"

Yup...One machine can have the card, the others can be bare.

[matthew rivlin] "We have never had deck control, since the decks are 1' away from the ingest machine. Could be nice i guess though. thoughts? "

Doesn't matter HOW FAR you are away from the deck...if you want to control the deck, if you want timecode, you need RS-422 deck control. So get a card that has it.

[matthew rivlin] "So the AJA card is twice the price of the decklink you mentioned. Any reason or benefit to the AJA?"

Tech support. Amazing, uncomparable tech support. When you are in a crunch, it's worth it.

I'm a fan of all the cards, but have used the AJA cards the most...own a Matrox MXO2. I find the AJA and the MXO2 cards the easiest to use.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

matthew rivlin
on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:14:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the deck control. Good to know.

It sounds from your opinion and others' that the AJA cards is the way to go.

I still have two questions:

1) What does AJA offer for use on a MBP. Most all of our captures would be on the MacPro desktop, but I just want to consider options for portability from time to time. Would I need the IO HD via FW?

2) I have done some reading about importing DVCPro HD vs. ProRes. It sounds like ProRes is the obvious answer, and I also read that AJA provides almost exclusive hardware benefits (as opposed to matrox using the computers processor), but the AJA site says nothing about ProRes on the Kona LHi. But it does on the IO HD. Should I be worried? Is there something I am missing?

Appreciate all your help.

matthew

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:21:17 pm

[matthew rivlin] "but the AJA site says nothing about ProRes on the Kona LHi. But it does on the IO HD. Should I be worried? Is there something I am missing?"

The LHI will capture to Pro res as well. The difference is that the IO HD hardware is built around the pro-res codec. That way you have a highly portable system that supports all the HD formats and records to a highly efficient codec. The LHI in and out will support Pro res,HDV,DVC Pro,uncompressed,etc. The LHI will also up convert down convert SD to HD and vice versa in real time. I believe the IO HD only down converts. If you're working off MBPsthe IO HD is a great way to go.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]