FORUMS: list search recent posts

I was told frame rates have to match in Final Cut Pro. Why?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Doyle
I was told frame rates have to match in Final Cut Pro. Why?
on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:23:12 pm

I mix SD 16:9 footage from the Canon XL2 (50i, PAL) with 7D 1080p 25p and 24p footage in Final Cut 7 and I don't have any problems. Why do people say that frame rates have to match?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: I was told frame rates have to match in Final Cut Pro. Why?
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:16:29 am

50i and 25p run at the same 25fps. 24p is different...24fps. If you put 24p in a 25fps timeline, ONE FRAME will repeat. So you might see a small stutter very now and then. It gets worse when you are in NTSC land and mising 30fps and 24fps. Every 4th frame is repeated, so it looks worse.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Doyle
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:34:52 am

Thanks. I can't even notice it. Or will I notice it more if I look at the DVD? Is it one frame repeated every second? The last frame?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:37:14 am

One frame every second...typically the last frame. Dunno why you don't notice it now...I can see it (edited 23.98 sequences with 25fps footage...one frame was SKIPPED!), and 25fps with 24p material. You might see it more on the DVD. Burn a test one to check it out.

Shane

Return to posts index

Richard Doyle
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:40:42 am

Can you recommend a fix? What would you do if you had to have 1080p 25fps footage from a 7D mixed with 50i 16:9 SD footage from an XL2? Outputting as SD.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:45:00 am

Those two formats you just listed are both 25fps. 50i means INTERLACED...two fields per frame. 50 fields...25fps. 25p is 25 frames per second...both fields are the same. So, I wouldn't do anything. Well, I'd edit the 25p HD footage from the 5D in the 50i SD sequence. Since your output needs to be SD.

Shane

Return to posts index

Richard Doyle
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:51:20 am

Sorry I should have said what if you had 24fps Canon 7D 1080p to mix with 50i 16:9 Xl2 footage. Keep in mind that the edit is a wedding, and that the footage would be edited in sequence blocks. For example, 7D for bride preps and church, XL2 for ceremony, back to 7D for everything up until speeches. Then XL2 for speeches, dancing. Then mix some XL2 and 7D for highlights.

With 25fps, you said to edit the HD footage in a 50i timeline which is what I'm doing. I convert the 7D to Pro Res LT, but I have to render a lot in Final Cut because I'm a 50i timeline. Would it be better for me to edit the 50i footage in a Pro Res timeline instead? I'd probably have to keep rendering the 50i footage, but the render time would probably be less because it's the SD footage that needs rendering? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Richard Doyle
on Oct 18, 2010 at 1:41:01 am

Also, I need to ask is the extra frame going to be on the 7D footage or the XL2 or both? Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]