FORUMS: list search recent posts

transferring FCS to new Mac where is Ser No?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stu aull
transferring FCS to new Mac where is Ser No?
on Oct 15, 2010 at 4:34:22 am

New Mac, have my original FCS2 disks, but nothing to tell me the Serial Number. Registration window tells me to look "on the packaging" but I have none :(

Old computer with original software gone...

suggestions?

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: transferring FCS to new Mac where is Ser No?
on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:25:32 am

The Serial Number is on the envelop of the first disc, there are two copies of it. They are peal off labels. Without the serial numbers the disc are useless. If you registered the software with Apple you maybe able to get new serial numbers. Keeping up with Serial numbers is more important than the disc themselves. I have a xls file that I have on several HD and iDisc for safe keeping.

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:32:31 am

Thanks Mike - good, obvious advise :(
Trying to chase down old Mac to see if I can pull the numbers off the install...

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 16, 2010 at 2:44:41 am

[stu aull] "Trying to chase down old Mac to see if I can pull the numbers off the install"

Wait so you gave the computer to someone else with the software still installed. The software license for FCS is for one computer. That means that if you gave it to someone else then you cannot install it on another computer. And disks need to go with the install.

FCS ether needs to be removed from the old computer or you need to buy a new copy of FCS.

The later of those would also solve your SN issue.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 16, 2010 at 10:02:31 pm

And you cannot pull the serial number from something that is already installed. Without the full number that is with the disc there in no way to get access to the serial number.

Zane is correct, you need to buy a new copy, you are at a dead end anyway.

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Oct 17, 2010 at 9:12:00 am

Hello,

To the poster,

To the best of my knowledge, (and please correct me if I am wrong) if you are up to date with Mac OS and FCP updates (that's what I know by personal experience only, maybe older versions work too) you can get what you need if you can get to your old mac. - Run FCP, then at the top left from the Final Cut Pro menu choose "about Final Cut Pro". A window will appear with your name (if it was registered by you) and your serial number. Copy and SAVE it as advised by other posters.
It is my believe that by license law you can install and use FCS on your tower and your laptop. You just can't run them both at the same time on the same network. One at a time only.
Check your documentation (surely the basic documentation can be found online somewhere or other). As other posters have mentioned, you would need to uninstall FCS from that old mac before you install it on your new one.

I hope this helps,

Alex Vargas
EX1/Elite/Nikon, Zeiss
Macpro 2.1, 3.0 dual quad, 8GB RAM
Macbookpro 15"
FCP 7+
Logic 9+

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Oct 17, 2010 at 5:03:40 pm

My thanks to you all for this input! Obv the lesson here is keep a closer tab on License data ;)
I have now got the SN and the original FCP 5.1 install discs, tho I would hate to have to "retro-stall" 5.1 in to get access to the FCS3! I am hoping I can jump direct from 6.0.2 to the Newest with just a download update
??
FWIW I originally plugged the 2 towers together via Firewire and transferred all the Old Tower contents to the 12core with Mac's Assistant software. FCP works fine (still) in both machines, tho, inexplicably, both
SoundtrackPro and Compressor were dead-on-arrival in the 12 core!
weird.
re-install direct from discs did nothing to resurrect them either.
annoying.
Hope these issues go away with new FCS3

regards
Stu Aull

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 18, 2010 at 5:06:48 am

[stu aull] " originally plugged the 2 towers together via Firewire and transferred all the Old Tower contents to the 12core with Mac's Assistant software."

Not the best way to deal with Pro Apps. FCP installs some things into the OS that do not get moved over.

[stu aull] "inexplicably, both
SoundtrackPro and Compressor were dead-on-arrival in the 12 core! weird. re-install direct from discs did nothing to resurrect them either."

And this would be some of the issues you get with migrating Pro Apps

Do a Google Search for FCP Remover.

Use that to remove FCP on BOTH systems. Why both because you you said you are getting rid of the old one so if you want to use the FCP license on your new machine then you cannot give someone a computer with that license on it.

Once removed install FCP.

[stu aull] "FCP 5.1 install discs, tho I would hate to have to "retro-stall" 5.1 in to get access to the FCS3! I am hoping I can jump direct from 6.0.2 to the Newest with just a download update"

FCP 6 is NOT a downloadable update. It is a payed upgrade.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:32:08 pm

[stu aull] "! I am hoping I can jump direct from 6.0.2 to the Newest with just a download update
??"

Nope, FCS 3 is a paid upgrade. If the owner of your original Tower has already purchased the FCS 3 Upgrade using your old serial number, you would be out of luck I believe. You'll have to purchase the full priced $999 full license instead of the $299 upgrade.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:05:13 pm

[Alex Vargas] "A window will appear with your name (if it was registered by you) and your serial number"
The serial number is not complete.

Migration is a really bad idea.

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:13:29 am

*sigh* indeed, Migration of FCP seems to suck.
On a plus note, got back original Disks Set (FCP 5.1), loaded it in with recovered SN, then popped in the new Upgrade and FCS3 up and running.

:) Happy Camper
Thanks for thoughts on this. Forum Folk awesome as usual.

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]