FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to convert .VOB files to work with in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amerie Maria
Need to convert .VOB files to work with in FCP
on Oct 13, 2010 at 1:30:43 pm

Hi! A friend of mine, would like me to create a video for his work. However, he gave me all the data on dvds. and so that means there all VOB files. So, i have a question about using them in FCP.
Is the way to go about this (i havent tried this yet)
but to first put the VOB file on my hard disk and then put it into compressor and convert. Then put it into import into FCP. Would this work?
and if so.. can i just convert it to Apple Pro res or should i use another format?
or can you suggest a way of doing this using compressor?
btw - i need both audio and the video.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
Re: Need to convert .VOB files to work with in FCP
on Oct 13, 2010 at 5:05:36 pm

Personally, I use MPEG Streamclip to convert VOB files to usable QuickTime movies, then pull those QuickTime movies into Final Cut Pro. It's free and cross-platform, and will allow you to "Open DVD" and select each different video that you'd like to export from the disc:

http://www.squared5.com/

I believe you'll need the MPEG-2 QuickTime component installed on the computer with MPEG Streamclip for it to work properly with VOB files, but if this is the same computer that has Final Cut Pro installed, the MPEG-2 component should already be there.

There are a lot of options when exporting out of MPEG Streamclip, but if you're already in a ProRes workflow, exporting a QuickTime ProRes file at full quality should be just fine.

Good luck!

Dave

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Need to convert .VOB files to work with in FCP
on Oct 13, 2010 at 10:45:54 pm

Have you tried searching the forum?

Your question is asked practically every day on here.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]