FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding a TCG filter in FCP or Compressor...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Eaton
Adding a TCG filter in FCP or Compressor...
on Oct 13, 2010 at 1:42:39 am

I'm looking into alternative ways to add a time code generator to my sequences and was wondering if anyone had some advice, please?
Currently I create a "Master sequence" into which I nest all the relevant sequences I need or require. My next step is to go to effects and add a TCG filter to the Master Sequence.

So far, so good - at least in my small world. I then find I have to render the sequence which takes time, no pun intended. Though a little more time than I would expect. After this waiting, I can run the whole sequence through compressor to render out to WMV via F4Mac.

I've seen a timecode generator in compressor but it doesn't appear to have the control that the filter in FCP does. Is the application of a TCG in Compressor, faster than the one in FCP - at least from what I am experiencing: (Currently it's taking 42 mins to add a TCG to a 14 min sequence)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and acknowledged.

Smiling,

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Adding a TCG filter in FCP or Compressor...
on Oct 13, 2010 at 2:22:56 am

I have a tutorial on this: ttp://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/visible-timecode/1

[Lawrence Eaton] "I've seen a timecode generator in compressor but it doesn't appear to have the control that the filter in FCP does. "

What do you want to do? Typically you want the burn in to match the timecode of the sequence...and that is what the one in compressor will do. And no drop shadow...but it is faster than doing things in FCP.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Oct 14, 2010 at 5:33:32 pm

Shane,
You have the pride of place on my mantlepiece at the moment, proving there's more than one way to skin a timecode on a render!

Lawrence
'Too old for Hamlet. Too young for Lear."

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Jan 30, 2011 at 5:08:45 pm

Shane,
Apologies for coming back to this topic again and I will take it on the chin or mouse or wherever, if I'm speaking rubbish but, having followed your tutorials on adding a timecode in Compressor, I'm finding the finished file is proportionally larger than if there was no timecode added or if this was done in FCP. Is this expected or is there something else that I should knuckle down and learn, please?

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 30, 2011 at 9:08:29 pm

Odd. I never noticed this. I'll have to test.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Jan 30, 2011 at 9:35:59 pm

I created a WMV with F4M with the timecode generator 'ON' in compressor and it came out as 90meg.
Doing the same operation with the same codec BUT with the timecode Generator "OFF" returned a 60meg file.....

I just wish I could get it down even smaller - without sacrificing quality!!! (but that's another day and another battle)

Many thanks though, Shane....

Lawrence

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]