FORUMS: list search recent posts

I7 Imac Final Cut 7 Slow Rendering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonio Talarico
I7 Imac Final Cut 7 Slow Rendering
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:22:26 pm

Hello Everyone, this is my very first post.

I have done some editing in the past with final cut pro 5.1 and I just upgraded to final cut studio 3, which includes FCP 7.

I also picked up a new Imac i7 4gb RAM.

My setup is the following.

Firewire 800 Mybook set up as my scratch disk and storage.
Capture Samsung HMX-s16 1920x1080 1080 30p
Final Cut Pro 7

My Problem is the following

I imported all the files into fcp and set my sequence to 422 (LT)
Once i drop the files i have to render, which takes long time; I understand it needs to do so to convert the files to 422(LT). What i dont understand is why it takes SO long to render even the smallest transitions. The render is set to 50% quality and rgb only.

I just spent a lot of money for this new setup and I really thought it was going to be somewhat fast.

My thoughts

Firewire is the bottle neck
Need more RAM
Some of my settings are way off

I thank everyone that will give me some info and help. It will be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: I7 Imac Final Cut 7 Slow Rendering
on Sep 27, 2010 at 5:13:25 pm

I believe that camera uses the H.264 codec which is not an FCP edit codec. Before you can edit you should turn those files into ProRes. You can use Compressor to do that, and there are 3rd party programs like Grinder that also do this. After the files are converted you simply Import them to your project. When you drag your first file to your sequence, FCP will ask if you want the sequence to take on the parameters of your clip. Answer OK and you should be good to go. You might want to watch Shane Ross' tutorial on tapeless workflows.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Antonio Talarico
on Sep 28, 2010 at 1:01:01 am

I am trying to use compressor to convert the mp4 files to proRes 422, a 30 seconds clip takes about 10 minutes, this is really frustrating, I wish I knew a better work flow, What do you suggest? Also when i import the files into compressor the computer just hangs for few seconds, is the camera the problem??
Is it my settings that are wrong? Thank you so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:02:04 pm

How did you import the files? It nearly sounds like you have the files on your hard drive and then create a sequence. If the sequence codec settings are different from the codec your files actually use, you will have to do lots of rendering.

Create a project. Set the sequence settings. Use Log and Transfer to bring files from you camera into FCP. The file codec will match your sequence codec.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkflo...
http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/#chapter=22%26sect...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]