FORUMS: list search recent posts

mini-dv

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Feinberg
mini-dv
on Sep 13, 2010 at 1:48:34 pm

Not fond of the format, but I am doing a project for an old friend that requires mini-dv. He gave me 6 tapes of a football game he shot on 3 cameras. The first 4 tapes loaded with no problem, but the last 2 tapes (the game camera) have serious playback problems. The tapes won't playback in real speed, but if I go to shuttle the tapes the image is very viewable. My initial impresssion is a bad record head but if anyone has any other ideas/suggestions I would love to hear it.

Howard Feinberg

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: mini-dv
on Sep 13, 2010 at 2:32:48 pm

Are you digitizing the "bad" tape on the camera it was shot on?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Sep 13, 2010 at 2:49:08 pm

Was it recorded in LP mode?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Howard Feinberg
on Sep 13, 2010 at 2:54:21 pm

Chris, the tapes appear to be shot SP.

Return to posts index

Howard Feinberg
on Sep 13, 2010 at 2:53:17 pm

No, using my own camcorder to do the playbacks. I know it is not a problem on my side as I can put a "good" tape in and it still plays fine, it is just the high camera tapes that won't play properly.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:16:36 pm

Where the "bad" tapes shot on a Sony camera and the the good tapes shot on a different brand? What I'm getting at is this, in a nutshell. Sony shoots on DVcam while the others shot on DV. It is the same tape but the DVcam will play bad in a none-DVcam camera.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Howard Feinberg
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:38:09 pm

Great question, but no. The low cameras were Canon XL1S, the high camera was a Canon XL1

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 13, 2010 at 4:08:54 pm

[Stephen Smith] "Sony shoots on DVcam"
That should be SOME Sony cameras not all by any means.

Howard,
There is no way of telling if a tape was shot SP vs LP. But with DV if some shoots LP there is a good chance it needs to be played back with that camera. Most of the time DV produces automatically switch to the right settle, do you have a way to force LP playback? But even that, if it was shoot in LP often times you cannot capture from a different camera.

Other issues, the heads on the record camera are bad, or just a little out of align. A deck maybe able to capture the tape vs your camera, they are built to a higher standard and can normally accommodate wider tolerances.

So other than trying a difference capture deck, the next thing would be to borrow the camera it was shoot on.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 13, 2010 at 6:52:25 pm

One other thing to try; I find that DVCPro decks are very good at playing these back, using an adaptor. But not if they are in LP mode.

Return to posts index

Howard Feinberg
on Sep 13, 2010 at 7:49:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I think my best bet at this point is to attempt playback of the tape through the camera that recorded it. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Allan ssejjemba
Sony mini dv tapes
on Jul 11, 2016 at 1:03:26 pm

Hey i have got a serious problem i shoot a school tour with a rental camera sony z5 but it was i in shoot in HDV the problem is this six tapes show only and only during fast forward or when rewinding so please is there any way of getting the footage back .allan

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Sony mini dv tapes
on Jul 11, 2016 at 6:46:47 pm

The good news is yes, you can recover the footage.

IF you can get your hands on a Panasonic DVCPro deck, which can be set to play back multiple formats of DV.

Or, get the same exact camera or it's matching deck, those will be able to play out correctly.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 12, 2016 at 12:11:28 am

[Allan ssejjemba] "i shoot a school tour with a rental camera sony z5 but it was i in shoot in HDV"

[Mark Suszko] "IF you can get your hands on a Panasonic DVCPro deck, which can be set to play back multiple formats of DV."

He shot HDV....not DV.

Allan, you'll need to get a hold of an HDV deck, or the camera again, and use the HDV Easy Setup in FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

lee smith
on Dec 16, 2016 at 1:35:33 am

It was shot in HDV and played back HDV

Return to posts index

lee smith
on Dec 15, 2016 at 3:27:07 am

I have a mini dv tape with footage but when i try to capture footage i just get a blue screen, however when i play in fast forward i can see footage.I have tried playing on various other dv devices and still no luck.I have been told that the heads must not have been aligned properly while filming and the only way to get the footage is to adjust the head alignment on a dv device to align with tape.Any advice would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 15, 2016 at 6:58:40 pm

OK, there are three formats that record onto DV tape...DV, DVCAM50 and HDV (high definition). What format was recorded on that tape? Because if you try to play DVCAM 50 (DV50) on a DV camera or deck, it won't, but you'll see it in fast forward. I think the same thing happens with HDV, can't see it, but FF, you see some image.

Find out what is recorded on that tape, and then you'll need an appropriate playback device for that tape.

This is a possibility....just a thought

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]