FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting proress 422 into a 2gb max file without loosing image quality?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alejandra viejo
exporting proress 422 into a 2gb max file without loosing image quality?
on Sep 9, 2010 at 10:45:56 pm

Hi there!

So I have a wonderful film almost ready for the festival circuit and it turns out a lot of them do online
screenings... Now my instant thought with this is that although it sounds like a fantastic idea and would save the hassle of sending dvds, at the same time it tells me the quality will not be as high...is this true? I know you can upload videos with good quality, but can it be the SAME quality as your original footage?

The footage was shot on a canon 5d mark ii and converted into apple prores 422 in order to edit it on
final cut pro... Now, by itself the proress footage is huuuuge....and the max size files to upload onto online screeners is 2GB...

So how could I export the footage? in which format in order to make it less than 2GB but without loosing quality? Is it possible to get the same quality of the images even though it turns to 2GB max? And if you can HOW CAN YOU DO IT? Anyone responding will be my savior...

And I mean, if it turns out that no matter how you export at that size, it is inevitable to loose some quality on the image then il just send a dvd because its soooo important that quality is seen! That was the whole point on shooting on a 5d!

any thoughts and suggestions are incredibly welcome! :D

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: exporting proress 422 into a 2gb max file without loosing image quality?
on Sep 10, 2010 at 1:17:23 am

Hi Alexandra,
You need that your clip looks as good as the original, but don't need the "picture quality" (?) because your clip doesn't need to be re-edited. This is what the delivery codecs are for.
You have to export to H264.
What's the size of your picture and the length of the movie/
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

alejandra viejo
on Sep 10, 2010 at 1:49:00 am

Hi rafael,

thanks for your message! You are correct, i just need it to look as good as it does when i have it in final cut pro, BUT it cant be over 2GB in size...

I will have to test the conversion of H264 out...The movie itself how it is at the moment as proress is around 40GB (yes a lot) and the length of the film is 28minutes...

So if I just export to H264, the image quality will remain the same? Im going to try it out...

hopefully this will work :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:15:29 am

[alejandra viejo] "So if I just export to H264, the image quality will remain the same?"

No...of course not. You will be compressing the footage. But it will look good compared to other web delivery formats. If you use the LAN preset for FCP 7 (h.264), then it should come out less than 2GB.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:30:49 am

Do you need to send them 1920 x 1080?
Whatever the size of your picture you can set a data-rate of some 7.500 Kbps to put 28 minutes in less than 2GBs.
If you can send them 1280 x 720, the best. The picture at that data rate will look really good.
Set Key-frames AUTO and Double pass.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

alejandra viejo
on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:57:15 am

Ok great thanks a lot for all the useful tips guys! :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]