FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying FCP 7 project to another drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Leto
Copying FCP 7 project to another drive
on Sep 4, 2010 at 9:37:34 pm

I began a movie 4 years ago. There is over 500 GB of media associated with the project and it's dispersed in many different folders and sub folders on my hard drive. When launching FCP version7, it takes over 10 minutes for the project to load, and at times the system is a bit sluggish.

I'm guessing that's because of all my sloppy, lack of managed, media. I've tried using media manager to copy all the files to another drive and I'm encountering two problems. The first issue is that FCP quits in the beginning of the task. The second is it only wants to copy 112GB to the extra drive.

Does anyone know how to get media manager to copy all of the 500GB over using media manager?

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to copy the files without FCP, then relocate all the media into 1 folder and manually relink any broken connections?

Thank you very much for your time and attention to this matter.

I would love to get FCP to launch more rapidly and work more smoothly.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Copying FCP 7 project to another drive
on Sep 5, 2010 at 1:48:08 pm

Open the Project.

Close any and all Sequences that open.

Click anywhere in the grey area of your Browser so nothing is selected.

Go to Media Manager

Tell it to Copy and don't delete anything.

Use Browse to tell it where to put the new project.

with 500GB depending on your connection, it could take a while.

One way to greatly improve the speed of a project is to get rid of sequences you're not using any more. Simply re-name the project "Project REV 2" or something like that and delete any and all sequences you're not using. That speeds up a project.

And if you really want to have good media management and project management, pick up Shane Ross's Getting Organized in Final Cut Pro available right here on the Cow. I still refer to it when setting up large projects.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]