FORUMS: list search recent posts

Putting still images onto titles in FCP 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Crowson
Putting still images onto titles in FCP 6
on Sep 2, 2010 at 10:30:25 am

Hi- I want to create a simple black static text on white background title, with a smallish image in the corner to indicate which section of the series of films viewers are about to watch. I'm stuck on the image bit. Can I use FCP6 Pro to put an image into a static text title, modifying its size, or do I need to do this in Motion? If available space on the final dvd is an issue, will Motion produce a large file? Would it be better done in Photoshop? Also, what format should the image be in (I've been given them in pdf format, which I don't think is going to work...) Hope you can answer all my questions,

Thanks, Andy

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Putting still images onto titles in FCP 6
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:09:11 pm

If I understand correctly what you're trying to accomplish, you can import the PDF file into Photoshop (retaining the alpha channel), place it over a white background, add your black text, save as a PSD, bring the PSD into FCP and place it over your video in the timeline and you're done.

Return to posts index

Andy Crowson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:23:50 pm

Nice and easy - thanks. Now I'll have to buy photoshop...

Cheers, Andy

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:36:40 pm

Well, when you asked "Would it be better done in Photoshop?", you didn't mention that you didn't already own Photoshop. Although I think every video editor should own Photoshop and know it intimately, I'd always consider buying additional tools a last resort.

I'm not at my FCP machine today and don't recall if I've ever brought PDFs directly into FCP, but you might try that first since, if FCP will read a PDF with alpha channel in-tact, you could follow all the same steps and do it all within FCP. I only suggested the Photoshop approach because it sounded like you already owned Photoshop and I consider that the easiest way to do what you want. Personally, I don't like doing graphics in FCP, but that's just my preference.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:48:22 pm

I'm not sure about using a pdf in FCP6, but it works in FCP7. Try it and see. To do what you want, make a white (less than 100%) background with the Color Solid generator and place it on V1. Use the Boris Title 3D generator on V2 to make your black text. Drag the pdf onto V3 and size and position it using the Motion tab. That's the basics. Specific steps can be found in the manual or by searching the Cow.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:14:37 pm

While you're saving for photoshop, you can download Lemkesoft graphic Converter, does a lot of the same things. Or you can try GIMP, if you like freeware.

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Sep 4, 2010 at 6:34:36 am

[Andy Crowson] "Can I use FCP6 Pro to put an image into a static text title, modifying its size,"

Yes. Place your white background on V1, your Black Text on V2 and the image on V3. Double click the image clip in your timeline to load it in the viewer, resize it either in the motion tab or using the wireframe.

[Andy Crowson] "Would it be better done in Photoshop?"
No. Doing it this way lets you edit the text really easily and move the image as needed.

[Andy Crowson] "Also, what format should the image be in (I've been given them in pdf format, which I don't think is going to work...) "
JPEG, PNG or PDF all work. I think PSDs have to be the same size as your frame size. Unless you need a graphic with the background knocked out, you won't need Photoshop

If all else fails, open something in Preview and take a screenshot. You can even open a PDF in Preview, select it using the Select tool, Copy and create a new document using New From Clipboard and saving that as a PNG.

Finally, if $$ are an issue, Photoshop Elements does plenty and costs a lot less that PS.

Return to posts index

Andy Crowson
on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:18:37 am

Thanks for all responses guys - very useful...

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]