FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frames lost on export at lower fps

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Cook
Frames lost on export at lower fps
on Sep 1, 2010 at 4:49:39 pm

I'm very new to FCP and am using FCP 6. I'm trying to export an image sequence to a movie using the Quicktime Conversion. I need the movie to play back at 12 fps. When I go to export the movie, my settings are:
MPEG-4
1280x720
Keyframe: All
12 FPS

But when I play the movie back, there are half as many frames as started out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Frames lost on export at lower fps
on Sep 1, 2010 at 8:33:15 pm

What's the starting frame rate - the frame rate of your edit sequence? Are you trying to slow down the footage? For instance, play 24 fps at 12 fps, thereby, slowing it down by half. If not, I'd expect frames to be dropped to get to 12 fps. Also, I suggest not using QT Conversion. Instead, Export a Self-contained QT and then use Compressor to make your mp4 from that file.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Amanda Cook
on Sep 1, 2010 at 8:37:26 pm

The image sequence (bringing them into FCP as JPGS) was shot at 26 fps. The sequence is very short (80 frames). When I play the Quicktime movie, I wanted it slowed down so that someone could actually see what's going on.
I will try your suggestion about the self-contained movie and Compressor. I have not had a chance to use Compressor yet. Thank you!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 1, 2010 at 9:41:52 pm

Okay, I understand. I think your best way to do this is use speed controls (Cmd + J) in FCP to slow down the animation. Then export that at your full frame rate. I first thought you might use Cinema Tools to conform the video, but I think it just addresses standard video frame rates which 26 and 12 fps aren't. Still, checkout Shane Ross' just published tutorial on using Cinema Tools. That might be a good way to go in the future.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Amanda Cook
on Sep 1, 2010 at 9:44:51 pm

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you! And I will look into the tutorial.
Thank you so much for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]