FORUMS: list search recent posts

Managing multiple sets of FCP and OS X preferences

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Reichman
Managing multiple sets of FCP and OS X preferences
on Aug 27, 2010 at 4:32:00 pm

I'm starting my first job as assistant editor early next month, and I'll be using a Mac Pro in the production company's office. I'll be the primary user of the computer, but other editors will use the Mac on nights and weekends.

I have my own personal set of Final Cut keyboard shortcuts, window layouts, and button bars, and I'd like to use those preferences on this Mac, while still being able to easily reset the preferences to the defaults when I leave for the day. I've heard that Digital Rebellion's Preference Manager will do this. What do you think? Is that a good solution?

I also would like to have my own OS X keyboard and mouse settings. For example, the Mac Pro's function keys are currently set to turn up and down the volume, etc., but I want to reset the keyboard so that I can use F9 to insert, F10 to overwrite, etc. Also, the mouse is currently set not to allow right-clicking (instead you have to hold down the Ctrl key), and I'd like to change that.

So, in short, what's the easiest way to keep my own OS X mouse and keyboard settings and Final Cut keyboard shortcuts, window layouts, and button bars, without inconveniencing any of the other editors?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Managing multiple sets of FCP and OS X preferences
on Aug 27, 2010 at 5:32:20 pm

As far as F9, etc. try Cmd + F9, etc.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Aug 27, 2010 at 11:40:03 pm

It seems to me that the easiest way of achieving this is for each editor to have their own user account.

My software:
FCS Maintenance Pack - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
FCP Versioner - Backs up Final Cut Pro projects to XML and creates changelists for each revision
More tools...

Return to posts index

Benjamin Reichman
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:15:11 pm

Good tips. I doubt they would be comfortable creating a new user account (with all the potential for permissions problems, forgotten passwords, etc.) But I'll see what they think is best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]