FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to change the length of a clip if transitions are applied

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helge Frueh
How to change the length of a clip if transitions are applied
on Aug 21, 2010 at 4:04:04 pm

Does anybody know how you change the length of a clip if transitions are applied?

Imagine you have a title clip with a fade in and a fade out. The only way to change the length of the clip seems to be to remove the transitions and then lengthen or shorten the clip. After that, you reapply the transition.

This seems quite complicated. Does anybody know a better way?

Thanks,
Helge

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to change the length of a clip if transitions are applied
on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:02:47 pm

No other way. Seems rather simple to me. But yes, it is a pain in the patoot. When Avid MC made this option work...the ability to change clip length without removing transistion...or replacing the clip with two transitions on either end without removing them...editors all jumped for joy!

Hope that FCP works on this and fixes this soon.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Helge Frueh
on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:14:59 pm

Shane, thanks for the info. At least I know for sure now.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:57:47 pm

I may not understand your question, but you can slide a transition left or right, thereby, shortening or lengthening a clip. If you position the cursor on one side of a transition, it turns into the slip or slide symbol (I don't remember which) and when you click you can drag the transition. Of course it's limited by the overall length of the media. Move the cursor to the other side of the transition and you can click and drag to change the transition's length. This also works if you double-click a transition and slide it or change its length in the Transition Editor in the Viewer. However, I'm pretty sure it doesn't ripple the change, just makes the following clip longer or shorter.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]