FORUMS: list search recent posts

Full res rushes export too big?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eve Myhill
Full res rushes export too big?
on Aug 21, 2010 at 2:15:52 pm

I have recently finished filming some Hd 50i xdcam footage. The client has asked for a selection of the rushes at highest res to be uploaded to their ftp site so they may edit it, and use it on a cinema screen.

So I have exported the 1080 50i xdcam timeline, through quicktime (not conversion the other one) under the xdcam selection, then opened it in compressor and exported it using h.264, 25fps, high quality.

The finished product is obviously uber jerky when played in QT, but i assume thats because the processor cant handle it (i have a e a twin core pro). The resulting file size is 12gig. I have four of these to upload, I reckon thats an excess of 5 hours per file.

My question is this. Does anyone have another suggestion as to how i can reduce this file size but still send them the files in the quality/res they want. Their exact words were

"High resolution h264 keeping it above 3mg per second."

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Full res rushes export too big?
on Aug 21, 2010 at 3:18:43 pm

Hi Eve,
What data rate did you set on the compressor?
How did you set the K-frames?
H264 is a delivery codec and normally easy to play.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Eve Myhill
on Aug 21, 2010 at 3:35:28 pm

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quickly

What data rate did you set on the compressor?

Data rate i just left on auto

How did you set the K-frames?

what are k-frames?

H264 is a delivery codec and normally easy to play.

Do you think its because i export from fcp as quicktime before importing it into compressor - should i just send it straight from FCP?

Gnu films
http://www.gnufilms.co.uk

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 21, 2010 at 5:20:17 pm

Export your sequence to QT file "current Settings"
Make a ref file.
Drop that into compressor.
Modify settings.
Save new preset.
Compress.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Eve Myhill
on Aug 21, 2010 at 5:30:21 pm

Cool Chris, thank you for such a straightful forward plan of action.

Once I have completed the export, if it comes out jerky just ignore it because its too big for QT player, but it'll be fine for my clients editor?

When you say modify settings - what modifications exactly, as I am probably going wrong at this point?

eg: change current settings to 25fps?
Change the bit rate to 4000?

Many Many Thanks,

Eve

Gnu films

Return to posts index

Eve Myhill
on Aug 21, 2010 at 5:30:38 pm

Cool Chris, thank you for such a straightful forward plan of action.

Once I have completed the export, if it comes out jerky just ignore it because its too big for QT player, but it'll be fine for my clients editor?

When you say modify settings - what modifications exactly, as I am probably going wrong at this point?

eg: change current settings to 25fps?
Change the bit rate to 4000?

Many Many Thanks,

Eve

Gnu films

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:09:08 pm

Wait...they want FULL quality, right?

"The client has asked for a selection of the rushes at highest res to be uploaded to their ftp site so they may edit it, and use it on a cinema screen. "

They want to EDIT this footage and then use this on a CINEMA SCREEN, right? If you give them compressed H.264 files, those aren't editable, and if they are edited, and then compressed again for delivery to play back on a Cinema Screen...they'll look like POO!!

They want the HIGHEST res. So give them the footage in it's native raw format. Give them the selects they want, but in the native codec. But uploading full res footage to an FTP site? That'll take a while. I know of companies that offer paid services to transmit full res rushes, and they use VERY high speed tech.

Best if you put this all on an hard drive and send it. Or, compress to H.264 at the best resolution you can. ONe SMALL clip...and see if that is what they wanted. Or better yet, CALL THEM and figure out what the best approach is. Talk to their editor...not to them. THey might be producers who don't have one clue about all of this. ANd if the editor got H.264 files, he/she might be bitching to high heaven about the crap they were given.

COMMUNICATION... you gotta know what they want to do, and get them the best option to do that. Don't assume...don't THINK you know what they want, and then ask US what to do. Ask them. Ask their editor. Only they know.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 22, 2010 at 2:27:06 am

Hi Eve,
As you mention that the fiootage may be re-edited: Fallow the advice of Shane.
If you ever need to make again an H264:
- NEVER let Data-rate AUTO: This will produce an Uncpmpressed file packaged in H264 (HUGE).
- Always set Key-frames: AUTO.
- Set the data-rate according with the picture size and the target file size.
Think that a very high quality H264 (BluRay compliant) is around 17 to 25Mbps.
Cheers,
rafael.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]