FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Trouble Importing Stills

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Burkart
FCP7 Trouble Importing Stills
on Aug 19, 2010 at 1:11:02 am

Just got FCP7. Have used several previous versions.

When importing stills, the program automatically rotates all stills to essentially fill the 16:9 frame.

As a result, all of my vertical stills are flipped on their sides. I know how to rotate them each manually, but this messes with the motion controls - can't do what I want.

Anyone know what import settings I need to change? Tried Google and couldn't find the issue.

"A song is an excuse to go to a chorus, and a chorus is an excuse to go to a breakdown."

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP7 Trouble Importing Stills
on Aug 19, 2010 at 1:29:49 am

Never heard of that behave in FC.
Anyway try un-checking in the Preferences "Scale Clips to Sequence" (Users Prefs> Editing).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Burkart
on Aug 19, 2010 at 2:45:22 am

Thanks.

Still can't figure it out, but it's definitely something to do with the image, not the FCP settings. Imported a vertical image from another batch of images and it came in just fine.

If anyone has any idea what properties that image possesses to make it import horizontally, let me know! Shot with a Nikon D5000.

"A song is an excuse to go to a chorus, and a chorus is an excuse to go to a breakdown."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 19, 2010 at 5:29:48 pm

FCP doesn't do this. I know Avid does, but FCP does not stretch or scale still images to fill the frame. Never heard of this behavior, and in my 5 years editing with FCP and using stills, I have not seen it.

Trash your preferences...might be an issue.

#44: FCP acting weird - Trash Prefs

Shane's Stock Answer #44: FCP acting weird or unusual. Just not like is normally should

If the program was working fine, and now isn't, or just isn't working the way it should, the first things to do are:

1) Trash your FCP preferences. Download the Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/trashing_fcp_prefs.html

2) Open the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

3) Shut down for 10 min. Go for a quick walk around the block and get SOME exercise today. Come back, turn on the computer and see how things are.

4) (optional) Do the Hokey Pokey and turn your self about. Results may vary.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Burkart
on Aug 19, 2010 at 5:43:55 pm

Hmmm, good advice.

Tried both of the previously mentioned ideas to no avail - I decided it's not FCP, but some setting on the camera. Reason: FCP doesn't react this way to other vertically framed images I have.

Thanks anyways, I'll keep this in mind in the future. Cheers

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 20, 2010 at 2:50:13 am

Perhaps these stills had been rotated somehow previously with other application.
I would open the stills on PS or even with QT and save them again.
Don't rotate them in FC.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Aug 20, 2010 at 10:13:03 am

Are you importing the stills directly from the camera into FCP or from files on your HDD? What do they look like in, say, Preview?

Return to posts index

David Burkart
on Aug 20, 2010 at 3:04:40 pm

Nope, camera -> HDD -> FCP. And in Preview they're aligned correctly...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]