FORUMS: list search recent posts

How is a '24p' timeline different from a '30p' timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Huddleston
How is a '24p' timeline different from a '30p' timeline?
on Aug 18, 2010 at 5:04:45 pm

Hi there. I am relatively new to NLE's in general. I have done a few small projects before, but it was all trial and error and I really didn't know what I was doing. Now I am trying to learn Final Cut, and one question I have, and I'm sure is quite simple, is why a timeline needs to be specified to a certain framerate? Before, I just added whatever the heck I wanted to the timeline and edited it, regardless of the framerate. What does it mean when someone says 'put it into a 24p timeline'? Can't you edit the footage in the timeline regardless? Does the software conform to your framerate? What happens if you need to use more than one framerate in the same project? If this could be explained to me, or if I could be steered to a thread that already explains this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: How is a '24p' timeline different from a '30p' timeline?
on Aug 18, 2010 at 7:03:07 pm

You can drop varied framerates into a timeline (sequence), but it becomes a compromise for all but the clips that match the sequence's settings. That's very important with FCP. FCP works best when the sequence settings (codec, size, framerate) match those of the clip. In fact, when you place the first clip into a sequence, FCP will ask if you want it to set the sequence to match the clip's settings. FCP does not scale or change framerates well on-the-fly so the video will play roughly. The most recommended workflow is to convert all clips in an edit to a common codec like ProRes. Usually Compressor is used to do that. Then, you'll have a smooth-running edit with minimal rendering needed.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]