FORUMS: list search recent posts

video quality issues using Canon AVCHD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Anderson
video quality issues using Canon AVCHD
on Aug 15, 2010 at 12:15:04 am

hi, i am rather new to video editing and i am having a really hard time getting the same video quality with final cut express and final cut pro that i am able to get, with no effort, in imovie09. i am using a canon vixia hf m300, it is shooting 1920x1080i60 @ 17 mbs/s. the clips have a field dominance of odd(upper first). i am transferring the footage using log and transfer with the apple intermediate codec. i make sure my sequence settings match my clip settings exactly. the video looks good in my canvas and when exported using current settings does not look bad, but when watched next to the same clip exported from imovie, the one from imovie is just sharper with better color. then if i add moving text to the final cut sequence both the video and text get really bad lines that appear to be from interlacing. if i set field dominance to none at this point the text looks good but the video still has lines. if i deinterlace the video at this time the lines go away but it seems like some quality loss as well. fce has a setting for avchd at 1920x1080i60 but fcp doesn't so i have to change a lot of settings and i don't think i am doing it right. i love editing video and plan to go to school for it but cant start till january and i need this problem resolved asap. i don't want to waste this super powerful editing software simply because i can make imovie look better. please help me

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: video quality issues using Canon AVCHD
on Aug 15, 2010 at 1:48:16 am

Hi Steve,
You are going from a very compressed format (AVCH 17Mbps) to another one (AIC).
Try with
Prores instead of AIC.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Anderson
on Aug 15, 2010 at 2:38:44 am

thanks for the suggestion, i did make the change and used ProRes 422 HQ, looks real good UNTIL i add text, i did a sample export after adding some scrolling sample text, it made the video play choppy and the color got a little worse. any ideas where to go from here?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 15, 2010 at 3:54:55 am

Yeah...render. When you add text, you will see a color appear above your clip. This means that it needs to be rendered to play back smooth. Do that, and then play it back.

Oh, and ProRes HQ requires a semi-speedy hard drive. eSATA, or secondary internal SATA. If you went with straight ProRes, or even ProRes LT, a FW800 drive would work. And ProRes HQ is overkill for that format. It is meant for 2K and RED formats.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 15, 2010 at 2:19:22 pm

Don't forget to set "Render in High Precision".

[Shane Ross] "And ProRes HQ is overkill for that format. It is meant for 2K and RED formats.
"

Very discussable.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]