FORUMS: list search recent posts

made rookie mistake: edited, locked picture in mixed frame rates. now what?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marisa Miller Wolfson
made rookie mistake: edited, locked picture in mixed frame rates. now what?
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:28:04 am

Hi there,

After doing a search for "mixed frame rates" in this forum, I discovered that I committed a major, major no-no. most of my footage has a 29.97 frame rate, but quite a bit was shot in 24p.

i just locked picture and am putting my edit online. I figured out how to re-capture some of the footage that is "non-drop frame rate" using the appropriate NDF device control preset. but now as I'm trying to media manage one sequence in particular, i'm getting this message: "the frame rate of the preset chosen to reset your new offline sequences to differs from items in your selection. The preset frame rate will be ignored, and the original frame rate of the items in your selection retained."

that's not even the 24p footage. that's just the non-drop frame 29.97 footage. i think i'm screwed. i also just read that i probably won't be able to convert my audio to OMFs with mixed frame rates. i need to get these to my sound designers by friday to make a big film festival deadline!

what, oh what to do?

here's some info about my crappy setup:
-my tape deck is a little sony camcorder that doesn't even read 24p anyway (would've had to find a 24 p camera or something to recapture 24 p hi-res)
-working in FCP 6
-i have an old powermac G5. no intel processor.
-working in leopard: os x 10.5.8

thanks in advance for any help for this rookie.

cheers,
marisa

Return to posts index

Mike Throck
Re: made rookie mistake: edited, locked picture in mixed frame rates. now what?
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:48:44 am

One thing to think about,

Was your actual video shot on tape? Camera's like the Panasonic DVX100 or HVX200 automatically insert pulldowns that make your actual video footage 29.97, even when shooting at 24P.

If you are using 24PN this is a different story.

You can try converting the footage with the wrong frame rates, and then replacing them in the timeline.

Mixing frame rates can make for a real headache.

Return to posts index

Marisa Miller Wolfson
on Aug 11, 2010 at 5:00:40 pm

Thanks so much, Mike!

Yes, the video was shot on tape. Before I got a new DP, my old DP was using the Canon XL2 and used the 24p mode (I don't think it was advanced), and I think you may be right--it uses 3:2 pulldown to embed 24p in a normal NTSC video.

If I hit "continue" after that frame rate message, it seemed fine.

After recapturing my footage, the picture was small and distorted, so I had to remove basic motion and distortion attributes, and the size and footage looked normal again except for what looks to me like interlacing. I'm a first-time filmmaker, though, and could be wrong.

An editor friend said I can't really trust my computer monitor for accurate playback and that I should see it on a monitor. But I don't have one. Hmm...

Return to posts index

Kai Cheong
on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:17:11 pm

You could check for interlacing using your little Sony camcorder via Firewire out. And if you need a bigger view, you might be able to then get video out from the camcorder to a CRT TV.

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.7

8-Core Intel Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8GB RAM | FCP 6.0.2 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 3.0TB CalDigit VR | 2 x 24" Dell S2409W

Return to posts index

Marisa Miller Wolfson
on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:18:22 pm

Thanks, Kai! I'll look up how to do those.

Much obliged,
Marisa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]