FORUMS: list search recent posts

BEST Portable USB disk drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Miller
BEST Portable USB disk drive
on Aug 6, 2010 at 2:24:54 pm

Hello I am cutting footage for a trailer I will be editing with someone else. I selected music from a royalty free website that I need to download on a portable drive that I can later import into FCP. What portable USB would you recommend for this? I was researched to see if Videomaker Magazine had a recommendation. Thanks

Rachel

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: BEST Portable USB disk drive
on Aug 6, 2010 at 2:37:18 pm

While USB is okay for file transfer, it's not okay as a video edit drive. That might change with USB3. That said, look to your left and right on the Cow and you'll see adds from drive manufacturers. Some have Firewire drives. All the advertisers are reputable companies who stand behind their products.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:47:25 pm

Just to expand a little on John's good advice, FireWire is preferable for video work because it provides steady streams of data transfer (when reading & writing files). I'm not an IT guy so I can't explain this with the proper terminology, but the concept is simple ... USB transfers data in bursts instead of steady streams, which causes issues for video work ... not sure if that has changed with USB3.

In case this is what you were asking, its fine to use USB drives to simply transfer video files from one place to another ... just not as a source drive for video software. I have a 30Gb key-shaped LaCie drive that I use for exactly that purpose ... everybody makes them now and they're all about the same.

Return to posts index

Jim Edds
on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:34:28 pm

I use this one, cheap and FW800 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=WEPSTD8500&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

MBP I7 2.66 8GB RAM, 140GB SSD, FCP 7

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 6, 2010 at 11:19:15 pm

I doubt if USB3 will come to the Mac, Steve Job doesn't like it (for whatever reason) and if Steve doesn't like it we are stuck. I think we are waiting for FW5600000000 or something like that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]