FORUMS: list search recent posts

video playback is lagging

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ju Santana
video playback is lagging
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:13:38 am

Hello Everyone,

I am a bit startled because I am working on a project i shot on my canon 5D mark II and I have converted my video files from the native H264 format to Pro Res422, every time i play back the video on my timeline i see that it plays slower than it normally should and the video also tends to jump not showing my transitions. at first I thought it was a result from not having enough Ram memory (I had 1.5 gigs) so i boosted up my mac pro to 9 gigs of ram memory. despite the memory upgrade i still get the same problem. IF ANYONE has any idea as to how i could fix this it would make my life a WHOLE LOT EASIER! thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: video playback is lagging
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:47:40 pm

[Ju Santana] "(I had 1.5 gigs) so i boosted up my mac pro to 9 gigs of ram"

Odd amounts of RAM are a bad idea. Go in multiples of 4. So 8GB RAM would be better than 9.

ProRes is processor intensive codec. What machine are you using and what media array are you using to store the media?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:49:23 pm

Hi Ju,

Where are you storing your ProRes visuals? If you've vision isn't playing in real time it could be a bandwidth issue. Recommend ESATA or FW800 HDs minimum for prores. 9GBs of RAM? Macs like to work in parallels of RAM. Make sure that your memory slots hold matching RAM eg: 1Gb vs 1Gb. if you have 1Gb Vs 2Gbs, you may run into trouble down the line.

Best,

Simon

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

Ju Santana
on Aug 7, 2010 at 8:08:47 pm

i Just got two 320GB internal drives i'm about to convert to a raid, in the meantime i've been storing the files on the main 500 GB drive that came with my mac pro, BTW I just took out the additional ram memory, and even though my system now has 8 gigs, final cut still skips the video on the timeline and does not playback in real time and chokes up especially when going over transitions placed in between clips. any suggestions? thanks in advance!

Canon 5d Mark II
Mac Pro Quad Core 8 GB Ram
Mac Book Pro 17"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]