FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render times of 1080p ProResHQ to Bluray

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Weiner
Render times of 1080p ProResHQ to Bluray
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:04:24 am

• I have FCS3 (FCP7.x and Compressor 3.5.x) running under 10.6.3.
• My hard drives where all the media is sourced and recorded to (as well as the scratch disc for Q-Administrator) are all e-sata with port multiplier. Using the AJA speed test, I get about 100mb/s read write speeds (might be 100 and 140 but I forget which one is read and write.) I think all the media for this render including Q-Admin is all on one drive though.
• I am using a Quad Core Mac Pro. 2.83Ghz.
• 12 Gigs of RAM
• The media I am converting are all freestanding Quicktimes (no other renders are needed) that are Apple ProresHQ codec. 23.98Fps Progressive. 1920x1080. File size of source material is 26 gig per file (I have 20 files)
• I am using Compressor 3.5x for conversion. There are 2 instances in Q-Adminstrator.
• I am using Apple's Bluray setting in Compressor, although I did modify the Average and Max BItRates to: 23.56 avg and 31.25 max. (my footage is B&W and pillar boxed, and after testing seems visually excellent.) 23.98fps. 1920x1080. No Frame Change thing is clicked on.
• I have 20 of these Quicktimes loaded into compressor.

Render times are about 4.5 - 5 hours per Quicktime. I surmise this from the Finder Creation times. Also using those times in the Finder and in looking in Compressor's history window, it looks like Compressor is processing two Bluray h264 files at a time. (wonder why it just doesn't fly through one at a time.)

So, does these Render times sound correct? Am I doing anything that can be altered to speed up my render times. Any blatant mistakes I made?

Thanks for any responses.
Doug

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
Re: Render times of 1080p ProResHQ to Bluray
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:54:42 pm

Hey Doug,

Only 2 instances on a Quad Core? Check your Q Administrator settings in System Preference. It is recommended to have 1Gb of RAM per instance so you could easily set up 8 instances. That will improve your speeds immensely.

All the best,

Simon

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

Doug Weiner
on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:49:20 pm

Are you sure? I thought it was a function of cores. 4 got you 2 instances. 8 gets you 6. There was a test on BareFeats about this. Are you actually using your technique?

Thanks
Doug

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:56:34 pm

Yep, I'm using it and it works well enough for me. One core = one instance & ideally 1GB RAM minimum per core/instance.

I've played around with the setup on our 8 core for quite a while. Had up to 16 instances available but this didn't prove as efficient as 10 instances or even 8 - we don't have enough RAM to match more than 8 instances x8 GB.
The difference between 8x8 and 10x8 was negligible as far as I was concerned.

Even my dual core MBP provides me with 2 instances each with 2GB of RAM for number crunching.

All the best,

Simon

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

Doug Weiner
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:55:44 pm

Great. I have 5 more renders to do next week, and will post back here. So, with 12 gigs and 4 cores, what do you suggest?

Doug

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
on Aug 3, 2010 at 3:10:36 pm

Try 8. You have loads of RAM so it will get shared out nicely over 8 instances! I suggest running a few compression tests. Every system has it's own nuances.. either way, it is better than 2!!
G'luck!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]