FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame sizes of differing codecs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Cohn
Frame sizes of differing codecs
on Jul 28, 2010 at 11:58:29 pm

Hello,
This is a very basic question but I can't wrap my head around the logic of it. I am working with two different formats, DVCPRO 50 and XDCAM EX on in XDCAM EX sequence. The frame size for the DVCPRO 50 is at 1440x1080, and the XDCAM EX is 1920x1080. My question is how is it that both frame sizes are 16:9? If the size of a pixel doesn't increase or decrease, how can two differing number of pixels create fill same aspect ratio? I hope the question makes sense.

Thanks for your help,
Matt

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Frame sizes of differing codecs
on Jul 29, 2010 at 12:27:27 am

DVCPRO50 is 720x480 in North America. I think you mean DVCPRO HD, but that depends on the format. There are a number of different formats used by this codec, most of them anamorphic.

The 1440 format is squeezed horizontally for compression. It displays at 1920. The shape of the pixel is different. 1920 uses a square pixel. 1440 is narrower horizontally and expanded out to be viewed at 1920, very much the way anamorphic widescreen DV25 and DV50 are compressed into the same 720x480 frame that the 4:3 image uses.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Matt Cohn
on Jul 29, 2010 at 2:52:17 am

Thanks Tom. I'm going to double check on the DVCPRO format we're using. But I'm not sure if you mean that the 1440 format is both a format of DVCPRO HD and anamorphic, or if it is something else. Would you mind clearing that up for me?

Thank you for your help,

Matt

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jul 29, 2010 at 3:03:14 am

1440 is anamorphic for 1920. It's used in DVCPRO HD. It's used in HDV. It's used in AVCHD.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]