FORUMS: list search recent posts

Faster Workflow For Long Form Vids on FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle MacDonnell
Faster Workflow For Long Form Vids on FCP
on Jul 25, 2010 at 8:23:42 pm

Hey Guys,
I was going to wait until after I've finished my first FCP project, but I have time because FCP is hung up over this spot on my timeline it doesn't like. Here goes:

2.8Ghz i7 iMac w 8 Gb Ram
Firewire 800 HD's
Final Cut Pro 7.0.2

I did a 2 camera HD shoot of a stage show; = 5 hours of .mov/.mts files + a 3 hour .wav sound file. About 100 Gb of files.

It took days to turn this into Apple ProRess 422 & then it choked my system. I converted down to SD lossless, but this chokes also. Rendering takes forever. There are a couple of spots on my timeline that freeze up.

My question is How can I work faster?

Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Faster Workflow For Long Form Vids on FCP
on Jul 25, 2010 at 10:43:04 pm

What are you shooting on?
What format are u capturing on the shoot?
Did you use "Log & Transfer" to ingest the material?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Kyle MacDonnell
on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:43:47 am

I didn't "Log & Transfer". I shot .mov files on a T2i, 1080p @ 30fps & .mts on a Canon HF S100. The .mts files I first converted to H.264 using Adobe Media Encoder, but about 3 of the files crashed FCP, so I wound up using iSkysoft to convert to H.264, then I converted everything in Compressor to ProRes 422 LT. After I decided that HD might be too much for my setup, I down-converted to SD widescreen lossless QT in Media Encoder (this actually made the files much bigger)....................

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 26, 2010 at 1:14:11 pm

H.264 is NOT an editing codec. Don't convert to that for editing.
ProRres is a great way to go.

I would take your original mov files on a T2i, 1080p @ 30fps & .mts on a Canon HF S100 and run them thru compressor and convert all to one format. Whether that's HD or SD is up to you. If file size is an issue I would convert all to DV50 SD animorphic.

OR

Edit native w/ mov files from the T2i, 1080p @ 30fps and convert the mts to mov files 1080p @ 30fps

OR

But don't convert to H.264 and then to something else that's twice the compression.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]