FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export for DVD studio Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Mirman
Export for DVD studio Pro
on Jul 18, 2010 at 7:29:11 pm

I am exporting my project using EXPORT>QUICKTIME> USE CURRENT SETTINGS. It was shot on Canon T2i and converted using MPEGStreamclip to ProRes. When I export I get a 22 GB file and yet when I burn my DVD, DVD Studio Pro is telling me the file size of the disk I am about to burn is only 2.1 GB.

I don't know if this is the forum for this, but it seems to me that I larger file would produce a better quality DVD.

Am I missing something?

Brad

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Export for DVD studio Pro
on Jul 18, 2010 at 7:48:22 pm

You're "compressing" the ProRes file to mv2 which decreases its size. A single-layer DVD will hold 4.3GB. If you increase the data rate in Compressor you'll get a larger file, but if the data rate is too high it will choke many players.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Brad Mirman
on Jul 18, 2010 at 9:18:39 pm

I'm just exporting to a quicktime file. Not using Compresser. The quicktime file is 22 GB. I am making an SD DVD. If the QT file is 22GB why is DVD STUDIO only using 1.2 GB of that data?

Confused

Brad

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 18, 2010 at 9:46:02 pm

The idea of compressing or encoding a file is to reduce its size (without losing too much quality) so it fits on a DVD. That's why your 22GB file becomes smaller. So the basic steps to make a DVD are: export a full-quality QT from your NLE. Then, compress that file to the mv2 (mpeg2) format used with DVDs, and finally, author the DVD. Some authoring programs also do the encode. However, if you have Compressor, I suggest you learn it as it will do a much better encode than an authoring program. How are you encoding the mv2 (mpeg2) and making the DVD?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 18, 2010 at 11:10:31 pm

When u import a QT into DVDSP it compresses the files for you. It makes the mpeg file necessary to create a DVD.

Look in your Apps prefs for the settings.

Although, a better route would be to output a ref file from FCP, drop that into compressor and create the mpeg file there as well as an ac3 audio file and import those into DVDSP.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Brad Mirman
on Jul 21, 2010 at 6:38:13 pm

Thanks for that, but I still don't understand why when I go to DVDSP the file size is only 1.2 GB. It seems to me that a bigger file would be better quality. No matter how much I adjust the date rate in Compressor using DVD 90 min Best Quality I still can't get a file larger than 1.2 GB.

I've tried your suggestion inside DVDSP and adjusted the data rate but the file size stays the same

Brad

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 21, 2010 at 7:56:20 pm

You can adjust the data rate to make that file .50GB or 4.1GB
U have to duplicate the settings in compressor, make your own preset and adjust the settings.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Brad Mirman
on Jul 21, 2010 at 9:44:27 pm

When you say change data rate are you talking about in compressor or in DVDSP?

In compressor I can't get the 22GB QT file to output higher than 1.67 GB using:

DVD Best Quality 90 min > MPEG-2 6.2 Mbps 2 pass

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 24, 2010 at 12:29:11 pm

Ya, in Compressor - change the 6.2 MB to a higher number. You have to duplicate the preset and rename it for urself. Change the frame control to best. Change the audio to -31 and compression none while ur at it.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:47:59 pm

Just remember that if you set the data rate too high in compressor, it won't play in many players.

Think about it this way - a compression algorithm, even a variable one, can only be tweaked so much; even though it's reducing the file size greatly, remember that it has to be heavily compressed to not only fit on a DVD, but enough that a standard DVD player knows what to do with it. So even though it isn't using the full 4.37 G capacity, it's properly formatted to be useable by most dvd devices out there. You wouldn't want to increase the quality past that...DVD is obviously a limitation, especially for high-def footage. Exactly why there are blu-ray disks.

So even though you may be able to tweak these settings, you'll only increase it so much, and then the data rate will be too high to play properly.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 3, 2010 at 7:47:19 pm

I'm with Craig. I generally use Compressor's DVD high-quality 90-minute preset which I believe is around 6.5mbps with peaks to 7.6 or thereabouts. I'd never have the average rate at 8mbps or more. That will almost guarantee problems with many players. But datarate isn't the whole story. I also own BitVice which is a one-trick pony. It only does mpeg-2 for SD DVDs. But the results are amazingly good at data rates as low as 4.5 mbps.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]