FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best quicktime HD format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Mirman
Best quicktime HD format
on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:48:38 pm

I am exporting my project and each time I go into quicktime or quicktime conversation the quality is set to medium. How do I change it to high.

I am going to show a short film from my macbook using DVI cables to a television. What would be the best export format? Footage was shot on Canon 7D 1920x1080 24p and edited in FCP with ProRes.

Thanks

Brad

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Rob Grauert
Re: Best quicktime HD format
on Jul 14, 2010 at 4:52:50 pm

Be sure your timeline compressor is set to ProRes 422

Go to File > Export > Quicktime Movie.

Near the bottom of the dialog box you'll see some options. Make sure you keep Current Settings and make sure the Make Movie Self-Contained box is checked.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Brad Mirman
on Jul 14, 2010 at 11:43:56 pm

Clip were processed from H264 to ProRes using MPEGstream clip. I use the process you describe. The quality is good. A half hour interview is only 21 GB. That seems small. I was thinking there must be a better quality (quicktime or another format) that would give me even higher quality

Brad

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jul 14, 2010 at 11:49:29 pm

No, exporting as ProRes is fine. It's as good as Uncompressed.

Besides, you recorded H.264. Once you press Record, your video is subject to the limits of the camera. You can not expect better quality to appear just by exporting to a less compressed codec.

Transcoding to ProRes for editing was the right thing to do, but not because it necessarily gives you better quality. It just more edit-friendly that H.264, and gives you more head room when you add graphics or color grading to your highly compressed video.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Tim Allen
on Jul 17, 2010 at 7:46:46 pm

If you just exported using the H.264 codec you'd have a much smaller file size, and it won't be any more compressed than your original footage so you won't see any quality loss.

File > Export > Using QuickTime Conversion

Format: QuickTime Movie

Click Options, and under Video click on Settings.

Compressor Type should be H.264 and you can adjust the quality slider to be as high or as "best" as you want!

Your final final will look as good as your ProRes, but the size will be much smaller!

Hope that helps!

-
The Real Tim Allen
Tribal Iris | HD Production & Finishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]