FORUMS: list search recent posts

project too big for macbook pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robert bikel
project too big for macbook pro?
on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:22:49 pm

I know you're all probably reading this from your state of the art edit bays and cringing, but here is what i believe to be my impending problem-

I've been shooting/editing news for years in the field and I haven't encountered any problems since our switchover to xdcam a while back, but I am now working on the first feature doc and not a 3 minute news piece. Everything has been just fine while building individual scenes, but now that the project has grown to about 2 and a half hours of rough cut material and we are starting to assemble into one timeline, final cut has started to crash more and more. Im now at a point where i cringe when i copy and paste anything over 5 minutes long. Am I trying to race the tour de france on a tricycle? I'm afraid that there will be a tipping point where simply loading the project will cause it to crash.
My macbook pro is about 6 months old, fcp is 6.0.6 and and I'm working off 3 1tb g-drives daisy-chained together with firewire 800

Return to posts index

robert bikel
Re: project too big for macbook pro?
on Jul 13, 2010 at 5:30:07 pm

while looking through some threads, I"m learning that the combo of xdcam ex and a 220mb project file might be to blame. I just dropped the waveforms and thumbnails from the timeline and set my stills cache to 0. Hopefully that will help

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:38:52 pm

[robert bikel] "My macbook pro is about 6 months old, fcp is 6.0.6 and and I'm working off 3 1tb g-drives daisy-chained together with firewire 800"

That makes me cringe. Three drives daisy chained together with that much media is going to bring FCP to a crawl.

If you want improved speed, you pick up a larger array. You can pick up a WiebeTech RTX unit which allows you to put up to 8 drives into trayless chassis.

Basically in your position I would want a 6TB minimum amount of storage so you have about half of your array clean. Firewire 800 is a bit slow to begin with and then you start daisy chaining drives and filling those drives and you are going to be in for a world of hurt.

You should also have the maximum amount of RAM possible in that MacBook Pro as well.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:04:32 pm

Totally agree on the daisy-chaining, one of those, you can but you should never.

If you have a 17" MBP you have a lot of options for drives (or at least more options) you can get a express34 eSATA card and RAID a couple of 1.5 TB drives to getting to even run 2 single drives. Since you are working with discreet ports (that are much faster than FW800) it will help things out big time.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:02:00 pm

In past versions of FCP if your project file got to big, like 90MBs plus - it really started to protest, crashes and the like.

trash prefs?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]