FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio editing/mixing in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Viking Jonsson
Audio editing/mixing in FCP
on Jul 11, 2010 at 11:57:34 pm

Hello,

I wonder if someone could explain for me when to use stereo, dual channel mono and mono sounds.
In school I was told that dialogue should be mono paned to 0, ambients = stereo, sound FX = stereo etc.

Then I asked a sound technician about he's thoughts on audio editing/mixing, he said nowadays it doesn't matter if you use stereo or mono if it's panned right.

Then I watched Lynda's FCP essential training. In the audio editing chapter the teacher talks about stereo and dual channel mono, but not when they're supposed to be used.

And I don't see the benefit of using dual channel mono :S

Please give me a lesson in this world of audio editing/mixing.

Regards
Viking

Best regards
Viking Jonsson

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Audio editing/mixing in FCP
on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:55:30 am

[Viking Jonsson] "stereo or mono if it's panned right"
What makes something stereo is the panning. That is like saying it doesn't matter what you set your camera too as long as the settings are right.

If something is recorded as stereo you want to keep it stereo. When you record dialog you are recording that in mono, you would want to leave it mono. For stereo to sound like stereo there has to be differences in the right and left. A gun shot on the right side of the screen, you would only want that sound coming from the right speaker. Music is stereo to give it depth, separation between what you here on the right or left. Listen to 70s rock and you will hear major sweeps cause it was a new thing.

You can use dual mono to boost the audio levels but it will sound the same as a single mono. Dual mono tracks raise the level 4dB.

Return to posts index

Viking Jonsson
Re: Audio editing/mixing in FCP
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:24:47 pm

Thank You very much Michael for the lesson.
I picked up some old long-playing records from the basment :)

Named after Viking Eggeling

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]