FORUMS: list search recent posts

What format/Visual Setting for Stop-Motion Animation in FinalCutPro7 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clarissa Gregory
What format/Visual Setting for Stop-Motion Animation in FinalCutPro7 ?
on Jun 28, 2010 at 7:10:07 pm

Hello and Thank You! for addressing my question(s),

I make Stop-Motion Animations. I use a Digital Rebel XTi Canon Camera. My Camera takes images at varying qualities, from 1936 x 1288, to 3888 x 1880, to RAW. For animating, I set quality to 3888 x 1880 and Video System to NTSC on my camera. Do these ratios correspond perfectly to any Visual Setting in Final Cut Pro? I have tried different settings and sometimes find distortions, areas cut, or flickering edges...

I have tried setting sequences for DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. I export Using Quicktime Conversion, Compression Type: Animation, Quality: Best. The Final Quicktime Codec ends up being: Linear PCM, Animation. The color appears fully saturated, but I can't tell if the image is slightly squashed/distorted when viewed as Quicktime at it's "actual size" (compared to viewing in fcp).

I have also tried Audio/Visual setting sequences for HDV 1080i50. I again, export Using Quicktime Conversion, this time Compression Type: HDV. The Final Quicktime Codec ends up being: Linear PCM, MPEG-2 Video. The image appears slightly less saturated, and appears to have a tiny portion cut off from top/bottown, but looks like correct proportions when viewed as Quicktime.

Which format do you suggest I use? Or is there a more appropriate Audio/Visual setting or Export Conversion I ought to try? All advice and knowledge welcome!

*I realize final format screening will determine initial format/settings, for instance: will animation be viewed on a computer screen vs. an LCD vs. projected on the wall etc. but these aren't known at the moment, thus I would consider all of these as final screening options.

Much Appreciated,

Clarissa Gregory

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: What format/Visual Setting for Stop-Motion Animation in FinalCutPro7 ?
on Jun 28, 2010 at 11:04:48 pm

NEVER use DV or HDV for stop motion, never, you adding interlacing and throwing away of color info.

Use ProRes (progressive) and a video resolution 1920x1080 is the top. The frame rate is determined by the look you want, 24 or 30p.

If you are taking still with the camera the video settings never come into play.

One thing I would recommend is using Motion vs FCP to put this together. Since the shoots are sequential Motion can bring them in as a single file, does better with adding pans and zooms. Just a suggestion, if you want to type it out.

Return to posts index

Clarissa Gregory
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:08:27 am

Thanks Michael!

Just to clarify, when I go to Audio/Visual settings in fcp, there are a few drop-down menus.
Sequence Preset: Apple ProRes 422 1920 x 1080 24p 48 KHz (I choose this, right?)

Capture Preset: HDV - Apple ProRes 422 (I know you said Never do HDV, but this is the only choice with ProRes...or should I select something else?)

Device Control Preset: I don't know what to select here

Video Playback: I don't know this either

In Easy Set-up, I'm guessing if I select "Apple ProRes 422" it'll automatically set up for me, but I won't be able to set frame rate and ratio 1920 x 1080.

ALSO: by Motion do you mean Motion4 within fcp: http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/motion/

Thanks again for your prompt reply!
Clarissa

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:34:02 am

[Clarissa Gregory] "Capture Preset: HDV - Apple ProRes 422 (I know you said Never do HDV, but this is the only choice with ProRes...or should I select something else?)

Device Control Preset: I don't know what to select here "

If you are not capturing then these mean nothing. Capture is only if your source footage is coming from a tape.

Video Play should always match your sequence settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]