FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 720 60P to SD for editing in a SD timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Denham
Converting 720 60P to SD for editing in a SD timeline
on Jun 28, 2010 at 12:19:05 am

Hello,

my name is James and basically my situation involves converting 720 60P to SD for editing in a 4 x 3 SD timeline. The footage is being shot on a jvc gy-hd200u at 720 60P. The reason why I am wanting to dump it back to SD is so it will not slow the process of editing SD compared to editing in HD. The whole reason for shooting in 720p instead of SD is because even though it might be down-converted it looks a heck of a lot better than if it was shot in SD.

I don't think the camera (vc gy-hd200u at 720 60P) can down convert through the digitize, but I'm not sure, I guess my question what is the best way to export this within the timeline which the goal is to go back to SD 4 x 3 letter-boxed, obviously once you drop the 720p footage in a SD timeline it scales automatically making it letter-boxed which is great, obviously not sure if you export as is, or if it need a shift fields filter either upper or lower, anyone who has the knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated, or if someone knows the camera and knows if there is a ways to digitize the 720p to SD,

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: Converting 720 60P to SD for editing in a SD timeline
on Jun 28, 2010 at 5:06:39 pm

Hi James,

No, there isn't any way to down-convert on the fly with the JVC. You'd need a AJA or Motu box to do that on the fly.

There are many different workflows for HD to SD and down converting. Throwing a HD clip into an SD sequence doesn't really save you in processing speed. Actually, I believe, it might be harder on FCP to down-convert on the fly as you edit. If you really want to speed up the editing, you'd need to convert all the footage into SD-then edit.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

James Denham
on Jun 28, 2010 at 7:14:15 pm

hey there, thanks for the response,

so my question what is the best way to export this within the timeline which the goal is to go back to SD 4 x 3 letter-boxed, obviously once you drop the 720p footage in a SD timeline it scales automatically making it letter-boxed which is great, obviously not sure if you export as is, or if it need a shift fields filter either upper or lower, I have done some test runs out of the SD timeline and tried no filter as is, de-interlace filter, shift fields-upper, shift fields-lower, and shift fields-none which is I guess no filter looks the same no filter, funny how they would give that option-if you don't need the fitler-why drag it in, anyways through the tests it seemed the de-interlace filter looked the best, but I wonder what is the best, what is the science????

thanks again for the response, whats your thoughts or anyone who "who's been there knows that"

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 29, 2010 at 5:55:45 am

Make your SD sequence Progressive (NONE) and forget about Interlacing, shift-fields, etc.
Before exporting, set "Render in High Precision" and "Render Motion efects: BEST".
Export to Prores.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

James Denham
on Jun 30, 2010 at 2:39:41 am

Hello rafael,

I do appreciate this informative response, just a couple of questions to know what might work best for my situation, I'm not sure if it matters that the file will be dubbed off to beta and DVD and was wondering if it matters if its progressive even though the final product will be in SD, not sure if these are variables but I will be dropping in some NTSC music videos in the timeline which will not matter because most of them are 4 x 3 letterboxed anyways, I just wonder will it have an effect if it is already interlaced lower, I'm just curious,
so I guess I just want to get this straight on your thoughts, my situation is I am having someone digitize the 720 60p footage as is and then exporting out of a SD timeline so when I get the file and edit it, I can move and groove quicker with SD footage since the final product is SD, and the moving and grooving at a faster pace is critically important with deadlines each week,
SO, your saying once he drops this into the NTSC timeline, change the fields to none, and export with the settings? As far as the export prores, I would rather just export out as a quicktime file with no compression (space does not matter). Also once I get the SD file my from the export should I leave my timeline that I will be editing everything in at lower fields since I will be using other elements like music videos that might be NTSC lower fields, What are your thoughts, thanks again,

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 30, 2010 at 9:37:51 am

[James Denham] "I am having someone digitize the 720 60p footage as is and then exporting out of a SD timeline "
What means that?
Are you capturing the 720p60 as 720p60?
Are you rendering that in an SD Interlaced sequence?
If is like that, it may happens that when FC converts from p60 to i60 (SD 59'97?), may be taking one field from each original Frame. Then the movie will be interlaced.
Or FC may be just dropping every each frame and your final movie will keep Progressive.
I don't know how FC behaves in this case.

You can just use the 720p60 footage directly in any Interlaced or progressive sequence: p60, p30 or i60. Nothing to care about.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]