FORUMS: list search recent posts

Get faster rendering and playback for Editing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brandon Keat
Get faster rendering and playback for Editing?
on Jun 22, 2010 at 7:51:02 pm

I am wondering, is there a way to have fast playback while editing? The software seems to be extremely slow compared to imovie, yes I know Imovie is basic. I am wondering if there is a way to edit smoothly and then render the project in full quality after all cutting and placing is done?

I am very new to this, and have only edited on imovie for the last few years.

I am using Final Cut Pro 7.0

My System info is as follows:

Model Name: Mac Pro 8 core
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B07

I am using the Sony EX1 camera that uses the XDCAM format, but I convert them into apple Pro res 442 because i heard that's the best format to use with final cut.

I know i have the gear needed to do it, but I am ignorant to this program, can anyone help out? I want to edit and cut without any delay, i dont mind losing all picture quality, just as long as at the end, i can render and export to full quality.

V/R
brandon

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Get faster rendering and playback for Editing?
on Jun 22, 2010 at 8:23:53 pm

[brandon Keat] "I know i have the gear needed to do it, but I am ignorant to this program, can anyone help out? I want to edit and cut without any delay, i dont mind losing all picture quality, just as long as at the end, i can render and export to full quality. "

You've left the most important component(s) out of your list, i.e. the media drive(s). Skimp there and you'll have a great system that's completely hamstrung. There are good reasons why all of the excellent RAID manufacturers who build for Mac systems advertise on this forum.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

brandon Keat
on Jun 22, 2010 at 8:37:52 pm

Thank you for your response, Im a little ignorant when it comes to professional system's and just told the Mac store that I wanted the best computer to handle it. Can you tell me what a media drive is?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 22, 2010 at 9:47:41 pm

Your video must reside on a separate hard drive (media drive), or better yet, a RAID (ie. a set of hard drives striped together to make a bigger and faster virtual drive).

Look around at the ads on the Cow (CalDigit, Maxx Digital, G-Tech, etc.), search the posts on the FCP Forum, and Google "RAID" to learn what you need to know. Then come back here and ask for specifics. This is stuff you absolutely need to know if you're intent on editing video. The bottom line is, the faster the drives and the more throughput they deliver, the more realtime performance you will get when editing video, period, end of story. As I said before, your media drives are as important as any other component in your NLE system.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 23, 2010 at 1:15:28 am

Rule number one when editing video. NEVER edit video from your system drive. Always edit from a separate drive or raid made up of multiple drives. This drive should be connected via the fastest conecton possible ie esata, gigabit ethernet or FireWire. Remember that USB works in bursts of data and therefore is not suitable for video editing.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]