Exporting HD from SD sequence... to HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Steinberg
Exporting HD from SD sequence... to HD
on Jun 19, 2010 at 6:46:12 am

Hello,

Brand new to FCP, hope this is a basic question. First, here's what I'm doing:

1. I have a SD sequence/timeline (PAL 720x576 anamorph 16:9).

2. I drop a 1920x1080 clip or still into the timeline, and with the setting I have, it's automatically scaled down to the sequence size.

3. I export a HD movie from the timeline.

My question is: Will the original HD clip lose quality because it was exported from a SD timeline? In other words, does FCP actually first lower the resolution of the HD clip to SD, and then scale up this SD clip to HD again so I lose quality; or does FCP "remember" that this is a HD clip, and the original HD resolution is kept?

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

Louis McLellan
Re: Exporting HD from SD sequence... to HD
on Jun 19, 2010 at 8:19:33 am

The original clip will not lose quality. But FCP will render your sequence when you export it into SD. So your source material will be safe.

Editor, Sound Designer, Stop-Motion Animator, Lighting, and Pack Mule

Return to posts index

Eric Steinberg
on Jun 19, 2010 at 9:09:52 am

Thanks for your reply,

Not sure if I'm describing my question properly, or maybe I don't understand your answer. I know that the original clip won't lose it's quality. What I'm doing is more specific this: I have 2 movies delivered to me as uncompressed avi 1920x1080. I need to make one single new movie with the 2 clips back-to-back, and they need to be ProRes422 (HQ) 1920x1080. I drop the 2 uncompressed HD avi clips into the SD 720x576 anamorphic 16:9 timeline, I set an In and an Out point in the timeline, and select the clips. (I have not rendered the timeline). I then do an export with Quicktime conversion to Prores422 (HQ) 1920x1080. Will the resulting movie of the 2 clips back-to-back now be at a lesser quality because it was exported from a SD timeline, or will it be just as good as if I had exported from a HD timeline?

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

Louis McLellan
on Jun 19, 2010 at 9:22:13 am

The 2 clips should be at a fairly high quality when you export them, though since it looks like you are doing this for HD you should go ahead and do it as HD.

Return to posts index

Eric Steinberg
on Jun 19, 2010 at 9:31:14 am

When you say "..you should go ahead and do it as HD.", you mean I should export it from a HD sequence/timeline..? If that's the case, then that's exactly my thought also, but someone told me I need to keep these settings, and there won't be any quality loss.

Thanks again,
Eric

Return to posts index

Louis McLellan
on Jun 19, 2010 at 9:48:18 am

If you export it as SD there might be a slight quality loss, and the export time will be less, but it's best to stay with the native aspect as prores.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 19, 2010 at 7:08:31 pm

Eric,

Why exactly are you putting your HD footage in an SD sequence? That workflow simply makes no sense to me whatsoever.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Eric Steinberg
on Jun 19, 2010 at 8:04:39 pm

You're absolutely right. I'm not going to go off on a rant here, but it has to do with an incompetent vendor who I've been arguing with for weeks, and my bosses told me to back off and let him set up the system the way he wants. It's a long story, but suffice it to say that I'm very glad that you posted that it makes no sense with that setup! Thanks!

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]