FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems resizing photos for FCP - have researched but no luck

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Davies
Problems resizing photos for FCP - have researched but no luck
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:19:57 pm

Hi there,

I've got a really frustrating problem that I've been trying to sort out with getting family photographs to run in FCP at a better quality and would be very grateful for any advice please.

Basically, I know how to add them to the project and key frame them for moves, but it's just that they always look a bit fuzzy.

Now, I've done my research and have scanned the photographs as 72dpi in TIFF LZW format as this seems to be recommended.

The problem is I keep seeing people saying that for 16:9 (PAL) I need to resize photographs to 2560 x 1140 if I want to do moves on them. Does 2560 x 1140 mean Pixels? Do I change this in Pixel Dimensions in Photoshop?

I'm a noob with FCP - but an uber-noob with image sizes etc.

I have been using Image Capture to scan my photographs in - and it won't let me scan to the 2560 x 1140. The closest I can get is if I whack my dpi up to 300. I am using Photoshop CS version 8 - and can't see a way of scanning directly into it - even by going to file> Import - there is no scan option.

Some of the photographs I have are quite small - so I was wondering if that is what is making them look 'fuzzy'?

Should I be going to Image > Image Size and entering the (2560 x 1140) values in there AFTER I've scanned it, or do I have to somehow scan the image in at these values?

The other thing is - that when I resize the image in Photoshop I can never get the exact value of 2560 x 1140 - and obviously if I take off the image constraint the photograph looks squished.

Before posting this message I experimented with a scanned photograph at 200 dpi and it was much better - 300 even more so.

If anyone could please tell me where I am going wrong I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Louis McLellan
Re: Problems resizing photos for FCP - have researched but no luck
on Jun 11, 2010 at 7:01:26 am

300 DPI is the way to go. The lower the resolution the worse it's going to look. Also try saving it as RGB instead of CMYK.

Return to posts index

Mark Davies
Re: Problems resizing photos for FCP - have researched but no luck
on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:58:35 pm

Please don't reply to this post - problem sorted. Funny how different info comes up by changing search terms in google lol :0)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]