FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macbook pro HD performance using dslr

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Roberts
Macbook pro HD performance using dslr
on Jun 9, 2010 at 1:33:34 am

Hi,
I'm thinking of tapping into the wonderful mac world and dslr video world. I cant seem to find a really final answer on perfromance... ive not used a mac for video editing before so im interestedin performance issues...

I'm looking at buying a Macbook Pro 15 inch2.53 GHz w 4Gb RAM and 7200 Rpm Drive-
I'll be shooting with a Canon T2i camera, hopefully in1080 tho 720P would probably suffice for what im doing

I'm just doing simple web videos for my site and for youtube- No real bells and whistle editing- simple with cross dissolves and the odd title here and there and will try and get away with imovie at first.

I'm wondering about performance of the Macbook pro i am thinking of buying- anyone with any experience with the set up I am considering? I hear some saying their computers struggle some say they are fine- so i dont know what to think... I'm also looking at final cut express (as you can tell im on a budget here!) so any advice there is very much appreciated too...

Many thanks,
Dale

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Macbook pro HD performance using dslr
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:17:00 am

MacBook Pro will do fine with what you need. The thing is the codec the camera shoots in needs to be converted to something like ProRes to use in FCP. In FCE you convert to AIC. not sure what you have to do to access the movie files in iMovie, but the computer will do a fine job.

Couple of things to keep in mind. Do not edit with movie files on your internal HD, buy a FW800 drive and use that for all your media, it will make a world of a difference.

I still you an old MPB as my second editing system (have an 8-core also) and it does a fine job with FCP and DVDSP, new systems are a lot faster.

Return to posts index

Jim Edds
on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:13:49 pm

Just for reference: I'm using a 17 inch Macbook Pro I7 2.66 GHZ with a solid state hard drive, 8GB Ram, and video on an external Iomega hard drive connected via esata card to the express card slot. I can drop Canon 5D2 Mov files on the timeline and they play fine w/o transcoding.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:22:01 pm

[Jim Edds] "I can drop Canon 5D2 Mov files on the timeline and they play fine w/o transcoding."
FC has no problems to "play" h264.
But what happens when you put few layers with effects on top and you move a bit your pictures in the canvas?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]