FORUMS: list search recent posts

making dvd's

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Jennings
making dvd's
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:40:08 pm

Does anybody have any advice on creating DVD's?

I am confused about all the different codecs and compressor. Is it better to export the timeline directly to compressor? or better to create a .mov file first then physically import that into compressor?

Also....which codec is going to give me better quality? I know there is a trade off between quality and space on a disc. But since I have only 45 min and I can use a 120 min DVD, How can I utilize the rest of the space on the DVD to get the best possible quality for my 45min of footage as opposed to just choosing the preset codec for 120min DVD.

It's new to me really, any advise or wisdom would be greatly appreciated and of course your patience is appreciated as well. I realize that what I ask may be very elementary to most of you.

Also seems to be a very time consuming process. Mac Book Pro with media stored on 1 TB external HD. 2.5 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 4 GB or RAM. It took around 10 min to create a 30 SECOND test run using dual pass 120 min dvd codec, video file only. Is there anyway around this without having to upgrade.

I am using FCP v. 5.1 (something). I shot my HDV footage on Canon Xl h1s recorded to tape(not uncompressed). I have rather larger projects than I am use to working with.(approx. 2hr 45min of total edited footage broken up into smaller projects) the largest single project file is going to be around 45 min.

thanks so much
joe

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: making dvd's
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:52:27 pm

I personally like to Export out my movie and then compress it in Compressor because it is a lot faster that way.To do it I go to File, Export, Quick Time movie. Make sure it is marked as self contained.

I think if you use the best setting in compressor you will be very happy with the quality. If not you can always increase it. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:43:16 pm

Most folks recommend not having the video data rate exceed 7.5 - 7.7 Mbps, particularly, if you're using aiff audio which runs at 1.5 Mbps. You have a bit more leeway if you convert your audio to ac3 at 192 Kbps. However, if you push up the data rate too much, many DVD players will choke. I rarely exceed 6.5 Mbps for video and always use ac3. Stwphen's absolutely right about Compressor being faster. On our 8-core machine, we encode mv2 and ac3 at slightly faster than real time. You do, however, have to setup Qmaster to achieve speed gains thru multiple cores.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Joe Jennings
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:11:01 pm

thanks
q-master is something completely new to me as well.
I think i have a general idea what can do, but i think i compressor restricted to my computer only. It took forever for my 30 sec test video clip.

I had watched a tutorial on setting up virtual clusters. Is that what you have to do to make it work faster?

How does q-master actually work?

Return to posts index

Joe Jennings
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:43:58 pm

thanks for the info

Return to posts index

Kai Cheong
on Jun 5, 2010 at 5:48:12 am

Since you have only 45 mins of footage, I'd recommend you use the 90min Best Quality preset [rather than 120min] in Compressor - and as suggested earlier, to encode the audio as .AC3

It'll probably take quite a while to encode your .m2v and .ac3 files on your MacBook Pro. With my early 2008 model of MBP, I took about 1 hour to encode a 45min video. It'll help if you have an access to a multi-core Mac Pro which you can set up QuickClusters for.

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.7

8-Core Intel Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8GB RAM | FCP 6.0.2 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 3.0TB CalDigit VR | 2 x 24" Dell S2409W

Return to posts index

Joe Jennings
on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:27:52 pm

Thanks everybody!
I am now editing on a 2X 2.26 GHz 8core mac pro with 12GB of RAM. Newest version of Final Cut studio as well.
I think I created the quick cluster in qmaster correctly. I referred to the activity monitor and saw processors working in what appeared to be multi-cores?? The first time it did it I only saw one number running at 800%, the second time...I think it was 6 diff. lines, each reading over 200%.

Encoded 30 min of HD footage to mpeg with audio in 20 min or so. So much faster than before.

thanks
joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]