FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Work Flow for Editing 12 hr video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arturo Celleri
Best Work Flow for Editing 12 hr video
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:10:56 pm

Hi, I’m a new user to FCPro and I am finding difficulty in a workflow that I was instructed to do and I keep thinking there is another way. I have a large project to watch an entire teaching that encompasses over 12 hrs of video. While I watch the video, I am using markers in the viewer to identify different topics of teachings that I can create smaller subclips of for a website. At the same time, I am marking areas to put potential chapters in the video and attempting to organize the teaching into a navigatable piece with subchapters…etc.

My current workflow is as follows:
I watch the clip in the viewer and add all my chapter and topic markers in the viewer because I want them to stay part of my source clips.

The problem I’m having is that when I want to edit out a part of the video, I can’t do that in the viewer. My goal is to edit out all irrelevant stuff and create a sequence that is the total course. If I drag the entire clip and work in the timeline, I can make those cuts, but then when I add markers to the timeline, they don’t get added to the source clip that I need to have markers on for future use of these clips.

I am using Final Cut Pro 6.06

There must be a better way to do this.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better work flow for me?

Thanks,

Arturo

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Best Work Flow for Editing 12 hr video
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:40:14 pm

I work in a similar way, but when I identify a section of the clip I want to use, I mark it in the viewer, then set an in and out point and drag that to a sequence. I name the sequence by topic. When complete, the sequence has all the clips I want. BTW, you can still add markers to the clip when it's in the sequence by selecting the clip, positioning the playhead and hitting M.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Arturo Celleri
on Jun 5, 2010 at 12:03:36 am

M -

Thank you for the info!

A quick followup question regarding your btw comment:

Are you talking about adding sequence markers (they show up green) to the sequence? When I do these, it does not store the marker or marker notes inside the browser library like it does when I create the markers inside the viewer. Can I add a marker to the clip in the sequence which would stay in the source material?

Return to posts index

Mike Heffron
on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:45:08 pm

You could do a match back in the sequence when you place a marker and then place a marker in the source material and duplicate the info. Not the faster way I'm sure.

I'd be curious to hear if you can place a marker in both seq and source at the same time too. I'd have to assume it's a different command b/c I wouldn't always want to place a marker in both.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]