FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two different cameras with two different settings, How to bring together?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arturo Celleri
Two different cameras with two different settings, How to bring together?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 5:32:11 am

Hi there,
I think I may have gotten myself into a bit of a mess.

I have two camera shots of one event that I'm trying to sync and edit without having to be bogged down in render time before I finish the edits.

Camera 1: video properties are: Frame Size: 1920x1080, Data Rate: 7.1MB/sec, Pixel Aspect: square, Compressor: Photo-JPEG, and Vid Rate: 29.97
Camera 2 Video Properties: video properties are: Frame Size: 1440x1080, Data Rate: 15.3 MB/sec, Pixel Aspect: HD(1440x1080), Compressor: Apple Pro Res 422 , and Vid Rate: 29.97

When I try to make it a multiclip sequence as a way to sync in points, I get an error that says that my frame sizes do not match.

When I dragged Camera 2 video into the timeline, I got a red render line and couldn't view my video in the timeline.
I went into my Sequence Settings and selected Load Sequence Preset and all of the areas in my timline that needed rendering turned orange and now i can see both video clips. That's great but I don't know why.

My sequence settings are as follows:
Frame Size: 1440 x 1080 HD(1440x1080)(16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD (1440x1080)
Compressor: Apple Pro Res (HQ)

Any suggestions and or references to more info regarding how to work best with this situation is appreciated.
Thanks,
Arturo

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: Two different cameras with two different settings, How to bring together?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:19:49 am

Yes, you got yourself into a mess, but not as bad as the BP oil accident - so don't worry.
If I were you, I would get them onto the same format, so you can work with them in the same timeline, without facing render issues and problems with Mulitclip editing.
Take the 16:9 footage, put it into a new sequence - meaning 4:3 - so it will be letterboxed (which you at the end of the editing also will have to do with the 4:3 footage to visually equalize both).
Set also all the other properties in the Timeline Settings to the same than your 16:9 footage, then Export Quicktime, re-import this movie.
Now, if you drop both of them in a new Timeline, they should just play fine, also in the Mulitclip mode.

Let me know if it helped.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:28:10 am

Everything has to match before you can use multicam. Codec, frame resolution, and framerate. Both of your video are HD so this is just a matter of transcoding the files.

You can just convert Camera 1 to match Camera 2 with Compressor, Using a ProRes Interlaced setting with the frame resolution of 1440x1080. Make sure you keep the frame rate at 29.97/

or

This needs to be done to both sets of footage and will speed up future processing since you are working in full raster resolution.
In Compressor transcode both the ProRes 1920x1080 Interlaced @ 29.97 (or 59.94i). I would test short bit of the 1440 footage because their is a little more stuff happening, Compressor has to stretch out the pixel (which is what is happening any time you play it) Turning on Frame Control may help, but only use it if you really need it, adds a lot of time to the process, that is why I saying to do short test.

Then in FCP you match the sequence settings to these ProRes.

You should not be letterboxing anything.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:30:37 am

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but if you stretch out a 4:3 image, don't you get distortion.
If that is so, wouldn't Letterboxing be the better option?

Sascha

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 1, 2010 at 5:58:24 pm

Both are 16x9. The 1440x1080 is anamorphic - a thin raster HD. That's why Michael is suggesting converting it to 1920x1080 which is full raster. Full raster, as he explained, plays more easily in FCP since FCP doesn't have to stretch each frame (in real time) as it plays.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:19:50 am

Got it. Thanx, John. I wasn't aware of that. I thought that he was talking about a 4 to 3 ratio.
Yes, in this case my suggestion of letterboxing is not relevant.

Cheers for the upgrade!

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]