FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setup and Output for Aspect Ratio, Frame Rate, etc.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Devries
Setup and Output for Aspect Ratio, Frame Rate, etc.
on May 30, 2010 at 1:07:55 am

(I hope this not accidentally posting in an existing thread)

I have footage shot in 24p, with a 16:9 letterbox (NTSC). I will also be importing a little bit of footage that is 60i and some that is HD. I would like the output to be 24p, 16:9, NTSC.

I have been researching and trying to figure out what "Easy Setup" and other settings would insure that all of the footage is imported properly, and also how to go about cropping the non-16:9 footage, as well as how to insure that the footage is eventually correctly outputted to 24p, 16:9, and SD (NTSC).

If anyone can explain this, or knows where I can find tutorials or articles explaining it, I would find it immensely valuable. Thank you so much in advance!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Michael Sacci
Re: Setup and Output for Aspect Ratio, Frame Rate, etc.
on May 30, 2010 at 2:17:43 am

[Mark Devries] "16:9 letterbox (NTSC)"
that is not 16:9 footage, letterbox is a 16:9 within a 4:3 so the first thing what do you really, SD 16:9 is anamorphic, and the pixel aspect ratio is 1.2.

As for any footage that is not 24p (23.98) you need to transcode it to 24p before yo bring it in if you want the best quality, 29.97 or 60i (which is really the same thing just said a different way) to 24p doesn't just happen, you need software that does a good job. There are filters (Magic Bullet Frames for an example) or programs like Shake or Compressor. Compressor can do it but you need to turn on Frame control and set it to optical flow for the best results. Get really to do a lot of waiting for it to finish.

Return to posts index

Mark Devries
on May 30, 2010 at 1:10:25 pm

Thanks so much for the information.

Right, I know 16:9 letterbox it's actually 4:3. I still need to crop the non-letterboxed footage. I've never cropped footage before, but I assume there's some realtively simple way to do it in Final Cut...

As for importing different frame rates, I thought that Final Cut Pro "6" (the version I have) was the first version to be able to take in footage with multiple frame rates and output it to one frame rate without the use of an outside program like Compressor. As long as the initial settings (and the output settings) allow it. (That's why I was just concerned with making sure the settings are right.) Maybe I'm mistaken!?

I wonder if I can import any of the 24p (23.98) from a camera that doesn't itself support filming in 23.98 (when I can't bring along the deck, but need to import "in the field"). Is there a quality problem when importing from a camera? Conversely, I wonder if one can ever edit to tape or print to video onto a camera that is being used as a deck...

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Michael Sacci
on May 30, 2010 at 6:18:52 pm

To get Letterbox to 16:9 you do that in the Motion tab and large it about 135% (yeap that much) and apply a distort to I think 1.33 aspect. Once again I would do this in compressor so it is done and ready to use and don't have to render every time you change and edit.

[Mark Devries] "As for importing different frame rates, I thought that Final Cut Pro "6" (the version I have) was the first version to be able to take in footage with multiple frame rates and output it to one frame rate without the use of an outside program like Compressor. As long as the initial settings (and the output settings) allow it. (That's why I was just concerned with making sure the settings are right.) Maybe I'm mistaken!? "
It can but it doesn't do a very nice job with it, you can test and see if you like the results. The multiple format editing with FCP was a marketing thing, it is fine if you are dropping a clip or two of something different but if you are editing a lot of different footage better to convert first to a common codec, size and frame rate or you will be rendering a lot.

Not completely sure what you are talking about in the last paragraph. You capture your tape as record, you cannot capture 29.97 as 23.98. You can print to tape using a camera but most cameras cannot record 24p so there is a pull down added. (Some HDCAM cameras can record true 23.98)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]