FORUMS: list search recent posts

source timecode? timecode during capture?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff cronenberg
source timecode? timecode during capture?
on May 25, 2010 at 7:19:58 pm

I think I may already know the answers, (no and no) but is there a way to see the source-clip's timecode in the canvas? The dropdown menu on the timecode window upper right says it has source and clip as choices, but oddly neither seems to show me the source clip's timecode...
Also, is there a way to see the timecode of the clip you are capturing, while you are capturing it?
Thanks...

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
Re: source timecode? timecode during capture?
on May 25, 2010 at 7:29:14 pm

view -> timecode -> timecode overlay

Return to posts index

jeff cronenberg
on May 25, 2010 at 8:58:40 pm

That'll do it! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on May 25, 2010 at 9:08:24 pm

OK, Jeff, Dennis was a little stingy on his reply while I am nothing if not generous when it comes to verbiage. The answers are, "yes, a couple of ways," and, "depends."

It'd be funniest if I just stopped here, I suppose. But that would be wrong.

You can get timecode to super over the image in the Canvas while paused by using Dennis' method. You can also access that setting from the rightmost of the three pulldown menus above the Canvas. Choose Show Overlays and then also choose Show Timecode Overlays.

Another means, which will keep the numbers up while you're playing is to open the Timecode Viewer from the Tools menu. These numbers will run for whichever screen (Viewer or Canvas) is selected. Ctrl+click on the bottom half of this window to choose what information you want. I find Duration (Marked) to be extremely useful.

While capturing, you're more or less screwed unless you have a deck with a timecode display close enough for you to view or if you have a third monitor feeding from the deck. With this arrangement you could turn on character display on the deck and the image would appear on screen. I think this is one of the great missing features.

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

jeff cronenberg
on May 26, 2010 at 12:15:56 pm

Excellent, thanks Martin. In case it isn't obvious from the questions I've posted I'm a very recent FCS guy with years and years of Avid, and I'm still learning what's there and what isn't, (damn you, non-scrolling timeline...) so thanks for your patience.
--Jeff C.

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on May 27, 2010 at 10:32:02 pm

"damn you, non-scrolling timeline"
If only that were the least of it, Jeff. Yeah, I've spent most of the last 20 years on Avid myself and I think the contributors here are getting a little tired of my, "I'm sure you can do this…" questions.

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

jeff cronenberg
on May 28, 2010 at 11:56:11 am

Ha! Yeah, I've already spent too much time and energy on the "wait, you mean..." sort of things. I guess I have come to accept that the best thing to do is to stop trying to make it be an Avid and take advantage of the things it does do very well. Heck, even Avid seems to have grabbed some things from FCP in the MC5 release.
--Jeff
-------------------------
Doctor it hurts when I do this...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]