FORUMS: list search recent posts

best MacBook Pro configuration for Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jennifer higgs
best MacBook Pro configuration for Final Cut Pro
on May 25, 2010 at 5:49:39 am

Hi guys,
Thanks for your previous help. I wonder if you could tell me what's the most important element of a computer for FCP function- the amount of RAM, the size of the processor or the size of the graphics card? I currently have a 5 year old G5 and am finding it very slow to render files with a number of filters and mattes. I'm about to buy a 15" MacBook Pro and am confused by varying recommendations. There are 3 base options available the i5 2.4GHz, the i5 2.53 GHz and the i7 2.66GHz. Some say to get the largest processor (the top model), some say get the base model and double the RAM to 8GB and others say it's best to get the largest graphics card (the i7). It has also been said that the i7 chip is less stable than the i5-not sure what the implications of this is. I would appreciate your help.
Cheers, Jenny

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: best MacBook Pro configuration for Final Cut Pro
on May 25, 2010 at 8:54:49 am

Right now, for FCP and Compressor the processor is the most import. For Motion and Color they use all 3.

You can always upgrade RAM but you cannot upgrade the graphics card or processor.

Without a Express34 slot the 15" lacks options that you may need, faster hard drives or external monitoring options.

Unless you do a lot of editing in the field a MacPro offers so much more for editing.

Return to posts index

Steve Walker
Re: best MacBook Pro configuration for Final Cut Pro
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:08:58 pm

Hey Jennifer,

Check out my config below, it works as fast as I can usually!

Rendering in FCP7 is real quick, Compressor takes as long as it takes to make and drink a cuppa unless your doing doco's/feature films then its a good time to rest those eyes and ears whilst its cooking.

17" MacBook Pro gives you the SATA express card slot which opens up the world of fast transfers to large external drives (2Tb for around £200/$400 gives you over 7500 mins of DV video)

Steve Walker - MacBook Pro, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB Intel Core Duo, Lacie sata II express card w/ 2TB Lacie Quadra, MIDI from M-Audio Firewire 410. FCP 7, Logic Pro 9

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]