FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting NTSC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ian haig
exporting NTSC
on May 18, 2010 at 5:37:08 am

Hi,
I have a question I was hoping you may be able to help me with.

1. I have a DV PAL movie made from Final Cut Pro, I needed to send this on DVD to the US, so I actually used TOAST and re encoded the DVD as NTSC which was probably a dumb thing to do, it made an NTSC dvd, most of it is OK, however on certain bits of movement I get a sawtooth look, which i assume is a interlace or field issue. I see this when I play it back on a PAL TV, MY DV PAL movie plays fine.

As I have sent a number of these DVD's off to the States, will this interlace/sawtooth problem appear on TV's in the US ?

2. When making another NTSC movie from my PAL DV, I put a shift field filter on my PAL DV movie and put it to LOWER and when I exported this new NTSC movie it played fine..is this what I should do ? what is the best way to export a NTSC movie from FCP should I be using compressor ?

thanks

ian

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: exporting NTSC
on May 18, 2010 at 10:56:04 pm

I'm not expert in standards conversions. The couple times I've done it with software I used Graeme Nattress' Standards Converter. I've seen people discuss successful conversions with Compressor, but I have never used it for that. If you search, it's possible you'll find a Cow tutorial about this. I seem to recall one.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: exporting NTSC
on May 19, 2010 at 9:19:09 pm

There is several ways to convert from and to NTSC:

1.) The most simple one, which I used a couple of times and the result is pretty good: I imported the footage onto a Timeline with the settings of the original footage and exported it into the settings I wanted.

2.) The Nattress one mentioned by Johne works very well.

3.) Friends of mine did it with Compressor and it was doing a good job as well.

4.)Download the App "MPEG Streamclip" - it's for free - also working very nicely on NTSC Conversation (A great App panyway, if you want to convert DVD Footage back to Quicktime!!!!)

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]