FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reinstalling Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marko Lekic
Reinstalling Final Cut Pro
on May 18, 2010 at 12:52:28 am

I have Final Cut Pro 6 installed on my Mac. I'm doing a clean install of Mac OS and I was wandering if there is a way to preserve a FCP key for the new install. Is it enough just to remember those characters that appear when the program is running or is there more to it?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Reinstalling Final Cut Pro
on May 18, 2010 at 4:59:56 am

If you do a clean install of the OS, you are wiping the hard drive and you will need to enter the serial number for FCP, there are more than what is displayed during the Startup screen, if that is what you are referring too.

Return to posts index

Marko Lekic
on May 18, 2010 at 4:38:33 pm

Yes, I referred to that. Is there a way to save the key from currently installed program so I can install it after a format with the same key, or is there a way to copy this program i have and just paste it when I reinstall the new operating system.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 18, 2010 at 5:39:23 pm

Marko,

If there is a valid explanation why you are unable to follow the standard installation practices requiring a valid serial number, I suggest you state it as soon as possible, otherwise this thread will most likely be moderated/deleted.

When a new visitor arrives at the Cow and their very first post entails methods of circumventing Apple's anti-piracy measures, you can assume that forum leaders and moderators of this forum will naturally become somewhat suspicious.

Please be aware, the Cow does not condone pirating software, nor does it look favorably on those who either ask for assistance or those who help others in their attempts to circumvent anti-piracy measures.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Marko Lekic
on May 18, 2010 at 6:18:54 pm

I understand why this could look like piracy. The thing is that I got a used MacBook Pro laptop in french with french Final Cut Pro installed. I set english language, but there are still some parts of the french language (like login screen). That's why I would like to format the drive and install a fresh english system.

So, it wasn't me who installed Final Cut Pro on this computer and that's why I don't know the standard installation procedure. So please tell me how to extract the information I need for installing FCP again if that's allowed

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 18, 2010 at 6:41:36 pm

Not trying to be harsh, but you do NOT own FCP. Without transferring the disc and giving you the serial numbers the seller has created 2 versions of the software, which is illegal. I understand that this happens all the time and it the reason people buy used gear and think it is such a great deal. Most people enter into this situation without giving much thought to what they are doing and are unintentionally doing an end run to a pirated copy of the software.

If you are using this software in a business you need to purchase it, it will help you and the entire FCP community in the end.

Return to posts index

Marko Lekic
on May 18, 2010 at 6:53:11 pm

A person gave $23492349234239487290348 for a legal copy of FCP and installed it on a laptop. The same person gave me the laptop with the program, and in a normal world that means I own them both. So I DO own the program. There is only one version of the program and it's on a laptop that I own. I can't install new system without being sure that I can have legal FCP on it. If I don't find a way to do it, I will be stuck with a laptop that has a default language which I don't speak

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 18, 2010 at 7:34:49 pm

This gets very simple very fast. Do you have a set of installation DVDs for Final Cut Pro? Do you have a manual? Do you have a box?

If so, simply enter the license information again when you reinstall.

If you don't have all of those things, you got ripped off by the guy you bought it from, and there's nothing we can do to help.

My guess is that you tried to buy in good faith, and you got ripped off...but either way, there's nothing we can do to help you. Sorry.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Marko Lekic
on May 18, 2010 at 7:43:08 pm

If I gave money for this I would be more careful :) I got it as a present from a person who bought a new MacBook Pro, but the problem is that he is far away and I was looking for an easier way to reinstall the program. I'll just tell him to mail everything to me, and postpone the reinstall until then.
Thank you all for your answers,
Marko

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 18, 2010 at 7:52:16 pm

Yeap, the disc and serial # = ownership, manual and box is optional :-).

Why, for one you have no proof that the software loaded was not pirated in the first place. Like I tried to say I was not pointing a figure at you for being dishonest, you were misinformed. If you paid for the software you did get ripped off. The practice is very common with the sale of used computers and normally there is very little value added to a system with preinstalled software, it is there just to sweeten the deal, but it does not add say 300 or 400 dollars to the system cost. This also goes for the OS also.

I buy and sell systems from now and then and I do a total reinstalls before I sell and if there is software I'm including they get the disc but it is never FCP, why, because I'm going to install that on my new system, same goes for upgraded copy, those are not for sale, they are part of a single license of the software, all the way back.

I'm not trying to be preachy here, just trying to paint a complete picture. I will stop talking now.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 18, 2010 at 8:25:15 pm

[Marko Lekic] "please tell me how to extract the information I need for installing FCP again if that's allowed
"

As the others have mentioned, it's definitely not allowed Marko.

Furthermore, for the record, even the operating system that came installed on your computer is not legally yours if you weren't given the original discs at the time purchase.

If you did get screwed by the seller, chalk this one up as a good lesson, and be forewarned and forearmed when making similar purchases in the future.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]