FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCExpress going highdef (sort of)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
drew jones
FCExpress going highdef (sort of)
on May 14, 2010 at 6:00:10 am

Looking at a new HD camera. (never messed with HD before)

But FCExpress only seems to handle HDV in 1020i or 720p. No "true high-def progressive". I think I would be fine working in 720p for a while. (I want "progressive scan" & it's still better than DV, eh?) My question is...

If I buy an HDV tape camcorder (Canon VIXIA hv40) that shoots 1440x1080p30 can I just capture that as 720p30
OR do I need to shoot everything in 720p too?

I want to make things as easy as possible for myself. I'm not a tech-guy and want to avoid any issues ahead of time.

I'm pretty green. Sorry if thats a dumb question.

Thanks & cheers.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: FCExpress going highdef (sort of)
on May 15, 2010 at 6:05:18 am

I know that Express is a lot cheaper but you also get a lot less. Do yourself a favor and get FCS3, Motion, DVDSP and Compressor are much need apps, then you also get Color and STP. Express is really limiting on what you can use.

But if you plan to edit 720p you need to shoot 720p. Even if you can make the change on the fly (which you cannot) why would you want to shoot that way.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 15, 2010 at 1:21:50 pm

[Michael Sacci] "FCS3"

Just for the record there is no such thing as FCS3. The last update was an update to FCS2, not a full update to FCS3. If you go looking for FCS 3 on Apple's site you will discover that it does not exist.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 15, 2010 at 8:24:54 pm

The number was dropped, but it is a new version, since there is no FCS2 any more if someone went to the apple store there is only one version to buy, in either as a upgrade or a new package.

Most people understand that FSC3 is the newest version but understand that it is not technically correct.

Return to posts index

Terry Neilson
on May 17, 2010 at 11:48:43 pm

moving parts are so last year

MAC Pro quad 2.66, 8GB, XFX 4870, 23" ACD, 10.6.2, FCS3, MXO2 Mini, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]