FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost bin information, but not the .MOV files created ..frustrating

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alf Hanna
Lost bin information, but not the .MOV files created ..frustrating
on May 10, 2010 at 1:04:04 pm

Yesterday, I finished log and transferring about two hours of work, mainly HD AVCHD clips of interviews. They are on my external 2 GB drive. I was F&T them onto my internal RAID arrays. All was working well. I was saving FREQUENTLY. As in every time I'd finish a capture. Because of the length of the interview. I load the long clip into the F&T viewer, and clip out what I need in various lengths (a quote here or there). This keeps my use of drive space to a minimum, if you can call 130 GB per project a minimum. I rename all of them upon capture. Usually works fine. I can see all of the captured ones in my bins. However, I've now experienced a problem a couple of times. Yesterday, as I was about 2/3rds the way through the 1 hour interview, I experienced a 'loop' where a bit of audio was playing over and over. After waiting 10 minutes I Force Quit FCP and restarted the machine, hoping to clear any memory problems that may have happened. When I went into FCP, the bins had been reset to prior to the 2 hours I had spent! All the .MOV files are there. But the bin info is gone.

Is this a known problem with FCP? Is this the wrong way to approach editing a long interview? I must say that this is not the first time I've had this happen, and wonder where the root cause is for this. Is it FCP's AVCHD ingesting method? A problem with the drive doing this kind of work? But why, when I routinely save *frequently* am I losing my bin information? This seems suspiciously like a bug to me, having used computers since the 70s. (anyone remember doing 16 projector programming using punchtape for storage?)

A very frustrated recent convert to FCP...rethinking my choice...

Alf

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
Re: Lost bin information, but not the .MOV files created ..frustrating
on May 10, 2010 at 4:42:07 pm

On recommendations from another forum thread, I checked permissions on the disks. All were fine. Will likely reinstall FCP, which is a less than optimal way to spend a day that should be used to edit my video.

Alf

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 10, 2010 at 5:19:13 pm

Did you try trashing the FCP preference files?

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on May 10, 2010 at 5:34:07 pm

Following Final Cut Pro Power Skills by Larry Jordan, I just deleted all my Prefs files per page 13.

Do any of you use any of the programs that are mentioned there for Prefs management?

I'll fire up the program and start editing again. More later.

Alf

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on May 11, 2010 at 4:34:56 am

I have not had a problem, yet, since trashing the prefs. It's been some hours now. At least the MOV files were there so I could rebuild relatively quickly. If anyone else has thoughts on best ways to protect against this kind of bug in FCP, which I consider this to be, I'd love it.

Has anyone used Preference Manager, Reinphase's Final Cut Pro Manager,Cheasepeake Systems FCP Attic or Editgroove's Usermatic? They all seem recommended by Larry Jordan but wonder why I would use one over the other...

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]