FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing HD and SD ... woes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda Wong
Mixing HD and SD ... woes
on May 8, 2010 at 5:04:06 pm

I have a ceremony shot with one HD Sony EX-1 (1080 60i), SD Sony XL-1 and SD Panasonic 100A.

I used the Sony XDCAM transfer software to import the HD EX-1 footage and the SD footage was imported as DV NTSC 48 kHz

Once imported, it was suggested I convert all clips to Apple Pro Res. I exported each SD camera sequence to a Quick Time movie using Apple ProRes 422 NTSC 48 kHz and the HD footage as Apple ProRes 422 1920x1080 60i 48 kHz.

My problem now is when I import all the new Pro Res clips into a new timeline with a Sequence Preset to Apple ProRes 422 NTSC 48 kHz I got an error message:

"The following Media files are not optimized for FCP. It is highly recommended that you either recapture the media or use the media manager to create new copies of the files to improve their performance for multi-stream playback" (It listed only the XL-1 and Panasonic SD cameras)

I put all the clips in the time line and now I am rendering them. It say it will take 2 hrs and that was 2.5 hours ago and it's only at 48%. Should I recapture all my SD footage using a Capture Preset of Apple ProRes 422 NTSC 48 kHz or should I be trying to down-convert the EX-1 footage for something workable in the SD world? (How do I down-convert HD footage to it won't look distorted)

After the edit is complete, it was suggested to export all the media through compressor before importing into iDVD.

Truthfully, I will only be using the EX-1 for a long shot of the ceremony for about 45 seconds of the hour long ceremony.

My final output is DVD for a television.

Can anyone offer some suggestions, my crunch time is ticking away quickly.

FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Mixing HD and SD ... woes
on May 11, 2010 at 12:40:11 am

A lot of work for nothing.

Leave the DV footage as DV, set your sequences to match all the settings. Dragging a clip to an empty sequence will ask you to change the sequence to match the clip this is what you want to do.

Then you need to find the 45 secs of the HD footage and just downconvert it to SD DV to match the other clips and working sequence.

There should be no rendering until you add effects.

You then export this when finished as a self contained QT with current settings.

"The following Media files are not optimized for FCP..." is not an error message, it is just a warning that can be ignored. It happens when the footage used was not brought in by FCPs Log and Capture or Log and Transfer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]