FORUMS: list search recent posts

Foreground and Background layering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul leonard
Foreground and Background layering
on May 8, 2010 at 9:21:34 am

I watched a great edit on youtube of someone mixing a foo fighters video and anime and i have only one question.

how do you edit (or what is the process called) when you have footage of someone walking past a layered background image? ill add a link so you can see what i mean with the times when it happens but it is very clever and would love some help on this.

15 to 25 secs in, see how the foreground layers over the music video... absolutely genius

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Foreground and Background layering
on May 9, 2010 at 5:45:03 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking, but you can layer shots using different video tracks. For instance, put your background on V1. Then put your foreground on V2. You can put another foreground image on V3, etc. The bottom layer is the bkg, higher layers go on top of each successive layer. So higher layers don't obscure lower layers, they need to be keyed or rotoscoped so only the desired elements in that layer are seen.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

paul leonard
on May 9, 2010 at 6:05:02 pm

Thank you very much for the help....

I think i gave a bad example, at 2.17 into the clip it shows a animated character walk past the music video. but the music video is not in the original animated movie....

and i am sorry because i do not know the correct terminology of the technic being used but thanks for any more help you could give me... very much appreciated

Return to posts index

Joshua Russell
on Jul 2, 2012 at 3:11:21 pm

Although I don't know the exact method the artist used to achieve this effect - it would help if I could see the original anime - I am going to assume they either keyed out the background, or used an animated mask to cut out around the characters. If in the original video the anime characters were walking in front of a solid color, the artist could have keyed that color out, leaving the characters walking on a transparent background, and then dropped the music video footage underneath. More likely, the artist made a mask that fit tightly to the characters, and then motion tracked it to follow their movement. Then they would have animated the mask to any changes in the characters shapes. It is also possible that the artist simply Photoshopped the characters out of their background from a series of stills, and played them back in sequence... the motion of the characters in front of the video is only a few frames. Other than the chroma keying process, these animated mask techniques can all loosely be considered rotoscoping techniques. Drawing (in this case a mask) frame by frame over existing video.. although if any motion tracking was employed from a rotoscoper's perspective the artist was cheating.. Don't get me wrong, motion tracking still takes skill... Anyway, i hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]