FORUMS: list search recent posts

Horizontal Distortion Lines

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bishop
Horizontal Distortion Lines
on May 5, 2010 at 12:44:04 pm

I have just finished editing a wedding and putting it onto a DVD using Toast. Whilst editing the film I noticed horizontal lines on the clips, which look worse depending on how much movement there is in the clip. This is the first time I have edited on Final Cut and I assumed this was just the norm, and that once exported and put onto DVD, this distortion would dissapper. But I was wrong! :(

I'd very grateful for any advice. Thanks

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Horizontal Distortion Lines
on May 5, 2010 at 1:32:40 pm

What format are you working in? What you're seeing sounds like interlacing. If you're working in an interlaced format this is normal when viewed on a computer screen. DVDs and interlaced video are designed for display on a television screen.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 5, 2010 at 4:11:22 pm

Thanks for the response Tom. I am working on Final Cut Pro 5. The footage I have been editing is from a basic hard drive video camera (MPEG movie files). I exported as a quicktime movie. I have tried adding the deinterlace filter to the sequence but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. The lines appear both when watching on the computer and the TV...

Do you know how I might be able to fix this?

James

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 5, 2010 at 4:52:02 pm

FCP doesn't edit MPEg video properly. The media should have been converted to a format that works in FCP. It would help to know exact information about your source material, frame size, frame rate, codec, and the exact specifications of the sequence you edited in and are trying to export.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 5, 2010 at 5:00:48 pm

Oh right, do you think it's too late to fix it then?

To be honest i don't actually know how I find all that information out... I am a bit of a beginner to all this. I don't really know what codec's and frame rates are! I don't suppose you could give me an 'idiots guide' to finding that stuff out?

James

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 5, 2010 at 5:32:11 pm

Open your media file in the QuickTime player and go to Movie Inspector.

If you do want to redo the whole thing. You might try running your exported file through JES Deinterlacer.

You really should learn the application a bit, because I'm pretty sure your quality has suffered through the process you went through, not to mention spending, I sure, a painful amount of time rendering.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 5, 2010 at 8:07:49 pm

Ok here is the info from Movie Inspector:

Format: 720x480. Millions 16bit integer (Big Endian). Stereo. 48khz
FPS: 29.97
Data Rate: 30.32 mbits/s

Yes I'm realising that now! I was hoping that I could just learn as I went along..

Where can find JES Dinterlacer?

Thanks very much for taking the time to help!
James

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 5, 2010 at 9:22:00 pm

What's the codec? MPEG-2? Something else?

google JES Deinterlacer.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 5, 2010 at 10:05:30 pm

I don't know what the codec is. It doesn't say anything about a codec on the Movie Inspector. How do I find out what it is?

I have downloaded JES Interlacer. Once I have 'put' the file in what should I then do?

Thanks, James

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 5, 2010 at 10:11:15 pm

there must be something there in Format right in front of the numbers 720x480.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 5, 2010 at 10:31:00 pm

Oh sorry yes its DV...

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 5, 2010 at 10:43:41 pm

Here is a grabbed frame from the quicktime movie showing the distortion:

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 5, 2010 at 10:49:50 pm

DV is the codec. Earlier you said the material was MPEG. Did you convert it? The image you show in the next message indicates that there is something seriously wrong with your workflow. You should not be seeing the black bars at the top and bottom of the image. It's really hard to tell what you've done, but it seems like a fairly complete mess.

Let's start with some basic information. From the Edit menu please give the exact item properties of the clips you're editing and the exact item properties of the sequence you're editing in.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Jake Penta
on May 6, 2010 at 2:31:53 am

I seem to be having the same problem. I have the same settings

(720x480) MPEG-2 Video
NTSC CCIR 601 Pixel Aspect
29.97 FPS

I get the same problem and I really cannot figure out what it is. I am about to go mad! Really if you could help at all, I am ready to start from the beginning.

Jake

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 6, 2010 at 3:28:03 am

What are these specs? Your clips? They're MPEG-2. FCP doesn't support MPEG-2. Convert it to a format sued in FCP and use sequence settings that match the format you convert it to.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Jake Penta
on May 6, 2010 at 4:17:57 am

I am a huge newbie, so please bear with me. ( I got FCP a week ago )

Essentially they are ".mov" files, I imported them in iMovie 08 and located them with finder. They are all .mov files. When I go to

RightClick>ItemProperties>Format it says it is MPEG-2 Video. Its compressed that way.

I'm not getting clipping or anything when I edit, and the only problem is the horizonatal lines.

The original aspect ratio without the Horizontal distortion is fine in "viewer" but when I go to "canvas" and start editing in the sequence, they are there.

I'll attempt converting them, but if there is any other way to make them work I'd like to know because I'm not a fan of quality loss.

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 6, 2010 at 9:49:16 am

oh sorry i thought you were asking for the codec of the exported movie. yes the files i upload from my camera are mpg files.

the black bars at the top and bottom are just part of the widescreen bars. I just did a screenshot and cropped part of the clip

ok here are the item properties as it says in the edit menu:
Name: MPG
Vid Rate: 29.97 fps
Frame Size: 720x404
Data Rate: 734.5 k/s
Pixel Aspect: Square

And the properties of the sequence:
Vid rate: 29.97 fps
Frame size: 720x480
Compressor: DV/DVCPRO-NTSC
Pixel aspect: NTSC- CCIR 601
Field Dominance: Lower (Even)
Aud rate: 48.0khz
Aud format: 32-bit floating point
TC Rate: 30

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 6, 2010 at 12:28:34 pm

That's why you're seeing the black bars.

This media needs to be converted before you edit with it. Take it to Compressor, convert it to DV50 at 720x480 anamorphic 29.97fps with uncompressed 48k audio.

Edit that in a DV50 anamorphic sequence and you'll be good to go. You'll still have interlaced media, but it will look correct on a television set. Or if it's only for computer display you can run the finished output through JES Deinterlacer.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 6, 2010 at 1:00:38 pm

Ok thanks for the advice.

Is that the only way of doing it?

Only the DV50 conversion option is in the 'Advanced Format Conversions' in my compressor, which I don't seem to have access too.

In fact I have tried using my compressor before and I don't think it works at all.

Is there any other software that can do the same thing?

And are you saying that their is no way of fixing this without re-doing all of the editing?

Best,
James

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 6, 2010 at 1:06:43 pm

MPEG Streamclip.

There might be a way to do it using Media Manager, but I've not tried it with this type of situation, and I don't think you have enough experience with it to do it yourself. If you don't want to rebuilt it find a local FCP certified trainer who'll act as a consultant for you. It won't be free.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 6, 2010 at 1:48:31 pm

Yes I was thinking about possibly doing that. Thankyou very much for all the advice.

I don't suppose you know anything about Roxio Toast aswell do you? I have one other problem. I tried burning a DVD several times and every time the audio seems to go slightly out of sync with the video. Do you have any idea why that might be?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 6, 2010 at 2:00:32 pm

Could be related to the problem with your media. I'd make the DVD in DVD Studio Pro. In Basic mode it's pretty simple to use, not much more complicated than iDVD, and will produce good results even if you can't work with Compressor.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on May 6, 2010 at 3:34:07 pm

I have just used Streamclip to convert the files to DV and it seems to do the trick. thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jake Penta
on May 7, 2010 at 2:05:54 am

Thanks! I may or may not have found a loophole. Converting one clip and dragging it into the timeline makes all of the other clips work fine.

No problems yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]