FORUMS: list search recent posts

Page Peel?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Page Peel?
on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:42:33 pm

Yeah, thats right, I'm actually using a page peel. Question is, can you use FCP's page peel or create one to stop about 1/2 way across the screen and lay the turned page on the left hand side pages. Just like a real book, rather than wiping completely off the side of the screen like the transition.

Is there a way to create this with FCP or Motion?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Page Peel?
on Apr 26, 2010 at 10:19:02 pm

I would create the effect on one side (full-screen) then merge the two sides together in a composite. In other words, create a cheat. Often that's the only thing possible.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:26:33 am

Marr,
In the FC 7 "Alpha Transitions" there is really good "Page Peel".
With some tweaking you may be able to use it.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:01:48 pm

David/Rafael, thx. I'll see what I can work out. I might be able to export the full page peel and composite that on another layer and fade it out so it looks real. we'll see.

Still working on getting FCP 7. fingers crossed. but thx anyway.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:26:05 pm

You can build a page turn effect in Motion, but getting the ever-changing curvature to be convincing is hard, this is an area where AE is superior.

I used to do these page turns a lot using our Pinnacle Alladin, in real time, and they looked SWEET. I'm surprised there is no third-party plug for this effect yet... or have I just not found it?

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:32:37 pm

Hey guys, this is what I'm referring to. I just found one of Stephen Smiths tutorials (link below) and at about the :23 marker the cover page turns and lays flat on the left hand side. Looks nice. This is what I'm after. Do you think he did this in Motion?

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/smith_stephen/pageturns/video-tutor...

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:58:34 pm

Busted. Matt, you caught me. I pride myself in only using the Final Cut suite for every tutorial I've ever created, with the exception of the screen capture software. There are only two times I've used some other software to create an effect and this is one of them. That page peel was created in After Effects, which comes standard with a killer page peel filter that lets you adjust the direction and how much the page peels. Plus, you can work with content that has an Alpha Channel. So you can have torn up pages if you wanted. Considering how long the Page Peel has been around I can't believe that it doesn't come standard in Motion yet.
You could achieve this in FCP but it will be a lot of work. Do you have After Effects?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:01:41 pm

Ha. I knew it. Traitor. Only kidding. Thanks for the info. I've been trying to AE for a while now. Trying to get $ for things is like pulling teeth around here. I should be getting it soon though. Yay, another program to learn. I was be sarcastic there. The process never ends!

thanks again.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:15:38 pm

Matt, part of the repentance process is acknowledge your sins. :-) So I'm on the right track. However, I would love to see a page peel added to Motion.

Do you want to know how to do this with the FCP Page Peel plugin?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:31:34 pm

Sure would. Keep in mind I'm on FCP 6, but hopefully getting 7 soon.

What I was able to do was drop the transitions in and use about -87 for angle and a radius of about 30. I then exported that and comped it over my original. Deleted the transition from v1 and keyframed the opacity on v2 to look like the page was laying on the left side. its not great, but its not bad either. And since the transition is only about 20 frames long, it moves rather quickly. Just the type of cheesiness the client will like.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 29, 2010 at 4:04:27 pm

Another way is to put the page in a sequence bigger then the one you are working in. Do the peel to your liking and then export it out. Take it into Motion and add a speed change to the page so it slows down to a freeze once it flips over to the other side. You may need to adjust it a little but that will get you a low quality version of what you need until Apple addresses this. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 29, 2010 at 4:07:38 pm

ahhhh, didn't think of that. thx for the tip.

appreciate your and everyone else's help.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 29, 2010 at 4:22:16 pm

Happy to help and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 30, 2010 at 12:57:23 am

I just remembered that there are some third-party plug-in makers that specialize in iMovie and FCP plugs for fx. It would be funny if I had to round-trip my footage to iMovie just to get a good page turn. Well, not funny, really. More like the opposite, actually...

I wonder if this one would work for people with the latest FCP version?

http://www.geethree.com/slickfx/essentials/index.html

notice the cylinder and curl effects in particular.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 28, 2010 at 9:47:04 pm

If I used the effect a lot, I would make a custom alpha transition. Sorry, FCP 7 only.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]