FORUMS: list search recent posts

Didn't sync audio before offline! Will 'merged' screw with my XMLs later?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Turley
Didn't sync audio before offline! Will 'merged' screw with my XMLs later?
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:34:28 pm

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, and sorry its so long but I think you need the context to understand the question.

I've completed my first assembly edit of a short film I directed which we shot on Red and because the film has very little dialogue I just edited the video without syncing the audio. Now I've got a rough edit, I want to drop in the audio but I'm wondering how I do this without affecting my edit.

I've opened up the first video file in a separate sequence, I had to drag the In and Out points to the ends of the clip so it played to the end and I could find the clap (this seems like a ball-ache given that I'll now lose the In/Out points I used when cutting the initial edit, but that's a minor point, and surely my own fault for not syncing sound first). Then I imported the sound clip, synced them by eye, set an In/Out point on the timeline for the clap, Modify > Merge Clips > By In Point.

All is good, it comes up with a new clip - which it calls "A017_C012_0207MC Merged".

Now QUESTION 1- how do I get this new merged clip to replace the one I currently have in my offline sequence? Or should I be doing this another way altogether? Can I just do it somehow in the timeline non-destructively to my existing edit? That might be preferable- see Question 2.

My workflow is this:

Offline in FCP7 with ProRes422 transcodes
Export XML
In Clipfinder 2.5 replace .mov with .R3D
Send to RedCineX
Onelight in RedCineX
Transcode timeline to ProRes 4444 and export to new folder
In Clipfinder 2.5 create new XML for new ProRes 4444 transcodes
Open new XML in FCP7

So, QUESTION 2, given this outrageous workflow, am I shooting myself in the foot by letting FCP change the clip names by adding 'merged' to the end?

What can I do about it?

Thanks all, I appreciate any help and please forgive my ignorance. I'm from the camera side of things and haven't really had to deal with audio in any significant way before...

Tom Turley

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]